Town are the comeback kings - again

Lincoln Moorlands Railway 2 Bridlington Town 4
Lincoln Moorlands Railway 2 Bridlington Town 4

Once again Bridlington Town came from behind to win a game, at the same time ensuring that Lincoln Moorlands will finish bottom of the table.

This time the turnaround was more dramatic as all of Town’s goals came in the final 10 minutes just when they appeared to be heading for an unlikely defeat.

The Seasiders’ took control from the off and it appeared to be only a matter of time before the Railway defence was breached but four offside decisions in the first 10 minutes put paid to an early breakthrough.

Jamie Reeson wasted a golden opportunity to put his side ahead when put in on goal by Ash Allanson and Lincoln goalkeeper Haydn Green was equal to long-range efforts from Joel Sutton and Allanson with two fine saves.

Sutton also saw an attempt go agonisingly wide.

As the Seasiders’ huffed and puffed to get an opening, the hosts came more into the game and after Reeson had missed again by scooping the ball over from 10 yards, Lincoln took the lead just before half time.

They worked their way in from the right flank and some poor defending left Kieran Helsdown unmarked on the left of goal where he was able to pick his spot to score, leaving Town ruing not converting any of their 11 attempts at goal as a poor first half came to a close.

On the resumption, Town had a shout for a penalty turned down when Craig Hogg went tumbling in the area then after 53 minutes they went further behind as Josh Schofield beat Fraser with a good finish despite vain appeals for an offside decision.

Just after the hour mark Jarrod Smalley and Shaun Day were thrown into the fray to add more width for the visitors and they began to take control again.

A Dean Craig cross came back off the bar and Hogg appeared to be felled again as he went for the rebound.

Time appeared to be running out for the Seasiders but then a devastating spell in the closing stages brought an end to a run of five consecutive defeats.

With less than 10 minutes remaining, Smalley again sped down the right flank and from his centre to the far side of goal Reeson made amends for his earlier misses by firing into the net to reduce the arrears.

Three minutes on and another cross from the right was played back in by Tom Fleming for Hogg to force the ball in, then two minutes later, after Hogg had an effort parried by Green, the game was turned completely on its head with Hogg getting on the end of yet another ball in from the right flank.

Hogg was impeded as he went for a quick-fire hat trick with his shot going straight to Green and Day shaved the bar as Lincoln were put under the cosh.

With the game in time added on Town got a two-goal cushion when Fleming won the ball and played it on for Reeson to score his second of the game.