Town are still yet to concede a goal

editorial image

Beverley welcomed back a number of players from their midweek home win against Hessle Rangers, when they travelled to North Cave on Saturday.

Player of the year Adam Nicholson returned in goal after an ankle injury, alongside Rob Northern who also has had an ankle injury.

The attack was further supplemented by Jamie Waltham who has been on holiday, and there was also a welcome return for Nathan White on the bench after injury and holiday commitments.

With the breeze behind them, North Cave who had won all of their games so far ,started brightly with strikers Joe Lightowler and Craig Cockin looking sharp, it was only sometimes the final ball that let them down.

As the half wore on Town started to come into the game a little more, with new signing Chris Dickman looking impressive at right back.

The away team though were lucky not to be reduced to 10 men when Andy Stott kicked out in frustration at Cave full back Jonny Pearce. As Town started to prepare for being down to 10 men, the linesman intervened and Stott fortunately only received a yellow card.

It was Stott who then had a great opportunity to open the scoring but he pulled his shot wide when put through by captain Mike O’Connell.

Town then had another chance when Waltham, who was a real handful for the home defence, was put through, but he lobbed the ball over the keeper but also over the bar.

Beverley made one change at half-time, bringing on 18-year-old Craig Muirhead for Steve Graham.

Muirhead started to have an impact straight away with his pace and willingness to make runs inbehind the defence.

This was also creating space for Northern and it was he who opened his account for the season when, after a lovely little through ball by O’Connell, he lifted the ball over the keeper for his first goal of the season.

It should have been 2-0 five minutes later when, after a similar move, Ben Thomson ran through but he scuffed his shot, and it was saved quite easily by Matthew Johnson.

The champions made it two on 75 minutes when a ball from James Whittinghan was flicked on by Waltham, and Muirhead,, coming in the far post smashed in his third goal of the season.

Town were now well in control and it should have been three when a great cross by Northern was headed goalwards by Waltham, but keeper Johnson tipped it over the bar.

It was the same combination five minutes later but this time Waltham’s crisp volley once again flew over.

Beverley have played five games this season without conceding a goal. This is testament to outstanding defensive displays.