Super Duka shoots down the Parras

Bridlington Town 1 Handsworth Parramore 0. Duka scores the only goal.
Bridlington Town 1 Handsworth Parramore 0. Duka scores the only goal.

It was touch and go whether this match would go ahead, as the match officials were worried about the state of the pitch after a heavy frost.

Town were glad it did as Ombeni Ruhanduka’s goal was enough to beat a team who had put five past the Seasiders earlier in the season.

In truth, the first half produced little goalmouth entertainment. Eddy Birch saw an effort from outside the area head straight at keeper James Lindley, and at the other end Alex Knaggs made a vital headed clearance when his team mates switched off as Parramore took a quick corner.

That was about all that had happened in terms of chances until the 41st minute when Chris Adams slid a lovely ball through to Ruhanduka, and he confidently beat Lindley.

Handsworth came out strongly after the break, but missed a hat-trick of chances to get on level terms. Nicky Travis had a good effort which was just off target, Sam Smith headed Danny Buttle’s deep cross straight at James Hitchcock and then Smith made the wrong option when he went for goal with buttle on his own in plenty of space.

Bridlington were retreating but their best outlet was right back Benn Lewis who was getting forward well, and who provided a tremendous cross but Adams was put under enough pressure to distract him as he headed goalwards and the ball went wide.

Lindley then made a triple save to keep his side in the game when he pushed Birch’s shot out and then got up to block follow-ups from Jarrod Smalley and Duka.

Parramore’s best chance came midway through the half when substitute Nathan Joynes outpaced Chris Jenkinson and tried to take the ball around Hitchcock, but the keeper dived at his feet with perfect timing to deny him.

Lindley matched his opposite number, making a smart one-handed save after Adams had jinked through the defence, and minutes later he was helped by his defence, who deflected a shot from Smalley to safety.

With a quarter-of-an-hour to go, Joynes clattered into Lewis long after he had played the ball. Only the Parramore striker will know if it was clumsy or malicious, but it was so late, referee Jan Suchecki had turned away and missed the flashpoint.

He soon found out about it as the Bridlington players drew his attention to what had gone on, but Tom Fleming’s protests were too strong for the York official’s liking and he dished out a 10th yellow card of the season to the Town skipper.

That means he will miss the two games against leaders Tadcaster Albion after Christmas. With Tadcaster’s game at Retford being postponed on Saturday, their former Premier League player Jonathan Greening will also miss both matches.

The hosts held on reasonably comfortably in the closing stages, with the defence deserving credit for another clean sheet against one of the league’s stronger teams.