Super Duka grabs six goals in three games

Ombeni Ruhanduka
Ombeni Ruhanduka

Bridlington Town rounded off a successful week by demolishing Albion Sports, the team that lay one place above them in the NCEL table.

Having disposed of Penrith in the FA Vase and then beating Athersley Recreation 4-0 at Queensgate in midweek, Town moved into third place with a second-half blitz at the Throstle Nest ground.

It was a personal triumph for Ombeni Ruhanduka who, after scoring both goals at Penrith and netting one against Athersley, went on to complete a second half hat trick against Albion Sports.

The home side almost benefited in the opening minutes when Town goalkeeper James Hitchcock took time to clear a back pass and struck Aran Basi with his kick but fortunately the ball went behind for a goal kick.

The visitors hit back with Ash Allanson freeing Will Waudby down the left flank only for his cross to clear not only Albion’s defenders but also Ruhanduka on the far side of goal.

Town took the lead in the eighth minute after Waudby once again got past Temour Khan and the defender brought him down near the corner flag. Chris Jenkinson met Joel Sutton’s well-flighted free kick at the far post to head in for his first goal of the season.

Two minutes later a confrontation between Ruhanduka and Basi resulted in referee Robert Sherwood showing them both a yellow card.

Waudby tested goalkeeper Jack Bentley but it was his opposite number Hitchcock who provided the save of the match by pushing Marcus Edwards’ attempt round the post from point-blank range with the Town defence appealing for offside.

Albion were probably unlucky to go into the break trailing by the only goal of the half as they created several opportunities by playing the ball through for their quick front men. However, wayward finishing plus at times some desperate defending meant that Town kept their noses in front.

Conner Harman replaced Robbie Hawkes for the second half and Ruhanduka soon gave an indication of what was to come when he left Morgan on his backside before crossing the ball then he wasted a chance when one-on-one with goalkeeper Jack Bentley by missing the target completely.

Eight minutes into the half Ruhanduka went round Khan before playing the ball in for Waudby to score from close in.

The hosts made two quick substitutions but it was Town doing most of the pressing.

Midway through the half the striker finally got his reward after Harman had found Waudby on the left and although Ruhanduka’s first touch from Waudby’s pass was poor he turned to steer the ball past Bentley and into the bottom corner.

Bridlington were now well on top and with just over a quarter-of-an-hour remaining Jenkinson intercepted the ball 10 yards inside his own half then with a long pass found Ruhanduka who got beyond Asif Hussain before placing the ball past Bentley.

Ruhanduka was twice caught offside as he went in search of his hat trick but it eventually came to fruition three minutes from time when Tom Fleming played the ball through for him to once again get the better of Bentley.

Albion gained a consolation goal a minute later when referee Sherwood gave a dubious penalty by adjudging that Fleming had tripped substitute Lee Elam inside the penalty area and skipper Hussain stepped up to strike the spot-kick past Hitchcock.