Sub Harrison puts Seasiders into last four

Louis Kirk nips in ahead of Jimmy Ghaichem
Louis Kirk nips in ahead of Jimmy Ghaichem

Bridlington Town made it to the semi-finals of the NCEL League Cup, but they needed a late equaliser and extra time to get past AFC Mansfield.

Sub Jordan Harrison was their match-winning, keeping calm to grab an 85th minute equaliser and then wrapping the game up with a stunning solo goal in the added half-hour.

Joel Sutton scored in extra time

Joel Sutton scored in extra time

That meant Town avoided a penalty shoot-out, which was not something they would have relished, as they abysmal record from 12 yards raised its head again.

Striker Brett Agnew was the culprit this time, the latest in a long-running list of failures from the spot.

He had the chance to put the Seasiders ahead on 35 minutes when Jack Walters burst forward from left-back and was bundled over by Brad Wilson.

But Bulls keeper Jason White, who was sent off for a tackle on Agnew, when the sides met in the league at Queensgate 10 days earlier, ensured it was a more memorable visit this time.

He dived to his right and pushed Agnew’s penalty away to safety.

Driven on by this, Mansfield went ahead on the stroke of half-time, thanks to a well-taken volley by midfielder Jordan Annable.

The visitors had been very defensive before their goal, so the second half was going to put the onus on Bridlington finding a way of breaking down a wall of 11 players behind the ball.

It looked unlikely, with the Seasiders appearing short of ideas and slow in possession.

But the introduction of Harrison changed the game.

He latched on to Chris Jenkinson’s long ball with time running out and took the ball around White and tapped into an empty net.

Mansfield were stripped of a number of players who were stuck on the motorway and fatigue told in extra time.

Joel Sutton broke the offside trap and fired home midway through the first period of extra time and he could have added an identical goal minutes later, but saw his effort saved.

But it was Harrison was sealed matters, running from inside his own half, beating several tackles and firing the ball past White.