Skipper Fleming breaks the deadlock

Glasshoughton Welfare 0 Bridlington Town 1
Glasshoughton Welfare 0 Bridlington Town 1

Despite the narrow margin of victory, the match statistics show that this was a comfortable win for Bridlington Town against a club struggling both on and off the field.

The pitch, which had been declared unfit for Tuesday’s League Cup tie, survived the overnight rain but was uneven and the grass was in desperate need of a good trimming.

The Seasiders, with Tom Fleming starting in a forward role, dominated from the outset but Ombeni Ruhanduka failed to get his free kick past the defensive wall.

Fleming, attempting a diving header, just fell short of connecting with a centre after Shaun Day had made progress down the left flank, and soon afterwards Day put the ball in the net only for his celebrations to be cut short by an offside flag.

After 18 minutes there was a seven-minute delay when assistant referee Paul Tomes pulled up with a hamstring injury and was replaced by level three referee Duncan Street who was at the game.

Town continued to press and a free kick from Eddy Birch was stabbed towards goal by Chris Jenkinson but Joshua Archer got down to save. Birch then had an effort parried by Archer but with nobody following up, Leach was able to get the ball away.

Ten minutes before half time Archer could count himself lucky that he was only shown a yellow card when he clattered Ruhanduka just outside the penalty area in a one-on-one situation and at the same time appeared to handle the ball.

Town goalkeeper James Hitchcock came out to save at the feet of Kingsley Weatherald as Glasshoughton made a rare foray into the visitors’ penalty area, but as the half came towards its close Alex Knaggs almost put the Seasiders in front but poked the ball just wide from close in following a corner.

Another chance went begging at the start of the second half when Chris Adams failed to connect with a cross from Ruhanduka. Just before the hour Fleming collected his seventh booking of the season for an innocuous looking foul on Blaine Kellett.

Hitchcock got down to gather a low cross on the turn from Aaron Horton and at the other end, Archer kept the scores level by saving well from Birch’s drive and then collecting a centre from substitute Jarrod Smalley as Ruhanduka closed in.

Ten minutes before the end Town finally went ahead through man of the match Fleming when he converted a head-on by Ryan Nicholls following a cross from Day.

As the clock approached 90 minutes there was another lengthy hold-up after Liam Kellett had gone in on Birch with studs showing, injuring both Birch and himself in the process.

Birch was soon on his feet but Kellett was carried off and as Glasshoughton prepared to make the substitution, referee Peter Henger brandished a straight red card at Kellett leaving his side to see out the game a man short.