Seasiders suffer surprise League Cup defeat

Ash Allanson, pictured at Tadcaster on Saturday, got Town's goal in the 2-1 defeat at Glasshoughton.
Ash Allanson, pictured at Tadcaster on Saturday, got Town's goal in the 2-1 defeat at Glasshoughton.

After two impressive performances against league leaders Tadcaster Albion, Bridlington Town slumped to a surprising exit the League Cup against a side that is next bottom in the league and had shipped 32 goals in four games since Town struggled to beat them in November.

Gary Allanson made several changes to allow players on the fringe of the side a chance to push for a place in the regular team. The state of the pitch didn’t help them as the surface resembled a farmer’s field. Players have to adapt to the conditions, however, and in that respect the Seasiders’ fell short despite being on top for much of the game in front of a meagre attendance.

Home goalkeeper Josh Archer was soon in the action, racing out of goal to kick clear from Will Waudby and tipping over Craig Hogg’s effort. For the home side Arran Horton finished weakly after he had created an opening and then his 25 yard low free kick was held by Andy Sandall.

Archer was the busier of the two goalkeepers and made a smart save from Jarrod Smalley when it appeared the deadlock would be broken. Adam Walsh cleared for one of Town’s five first half corners after Archer had saved a free kick given for a trip on Hogg just outside the penalty area.

Town continued to hold the upper hand on the restart but were unable to make the break through and were made to pay twice from breakaways around the hour mark.

After 57 minutes Matthew Cressey was found in space on the left midway in the visitors’ half and when he was closed down he released the ball to the unmarked Hurst who fired past Sandall for the opener.

Three minutes later, following a break down the right that should have been dealt with, the ball was worked into the middle where Horton finished from close range to give his side a two-goal cushion.

Town immediately made a triple substitution and it appeared to have worked five minutes later when Ombeni Ruhanduka’s run into the penalty area was halted by a trip from Walsh.

Ash Allanson stepped up to convert his fourth penalty of the season but it was not enough to spark the expected fight-back and Glasshoughton’s all hands to the pump, and at times desperate, defending enabled them to go through to face AFC Mansfield the next round.