Seasiders march on in Senior Cup

Bridlington Town made the early running in this entertaining cup-tie but Pocklington were quick in the tackle to try and keep them at bay.

Monday, 17th November 2014, 10:28 am
Tyler Collishaw opened the scoring.

Chris Adams should have done better than heading wide of goal after Tyler Collishaw had beaten goalkeeper Ben Rawlings to the ball then from a Ryan Nicholls ball out of defence Craig Hogg played a one-two with Collishaw on the left before firing past the far post.

After 17 minutes Adams was sent tumbling just inside the area but as referee Darren Whatling gave nothing, Adams got the ball to Collishaw who found the back of the net.

Pocklington retaliated when Martyn Day put Craig Hargreaves clear down the left flank but his attempted centre went off Alex Knaggs for a corner. James Hitchcock was then brought into action, diving full length to catch a 30-yard drive from James Haigh.

As the Seasiders continued to have more of the possession, Adams hit a shot across the face of the goal and Knaggs was brought down just inside the area after going past Hargreaves but the result was a free kick outside the box that was cleared by Fraser Papprill.

Nathan White sent a 25-yard effort just past the angle and following a Pocklington corner skipper Tom Rogers drove over the bar.

Three minutes from half time Town doubled their lead when Tom Fleming won the ball and played it through to Adams who turned past Hargreaves before firing across Rawlings into the far side of the goal.

On the restart Dan O’Connor put in a cross from the right but it was too deep and went beyond the far post before Knaggs tidied up.

The Humber Premier League side were more in it in the second period as the visitors defended their lead and Chris Jenkinson halted Day’s run by winning the ball and playing it out of defence. Despite looking well offside Chris Saltmer was allowed to continue and Hitchcock came out of his goal to get the ball away.

Midway through the half the Seasiders’ had made all their substitutions and it was the three replacements who created the third goal. Ombeni Ruhanduka, back from a three-week break, won the ball on the halfway line near the left touchline and played it to Jarrod Smalley who ran diagonally across the pitch before releasing Danny Norton. Smalley ran on into the area to get on the end of Norton’s ball in to all but make the game safe.

Fleming was penalised for handball three yards outside his own penalty area but Olly Lee’s low free kick was too near Hitchcock as he got down to save easily.

Twelve minutes from time Nathan White was injured when tackling back and limped heavily off the field leaving his 10 team-mates to see out the game.

Pocklington gained another free kick in the Bridlington half but again Hitchcock made a comfortable save then with four minutes of normal time remaining the home side got their reward when Papprill bundled the ball in from a corner kick.

In the dying minutes Hitchcock held O’Connor’s 30-yard effort and Ruhanduka put a free kick over the top after Smalley’s run had been unfairly halted.