Seasiders hit double figures against Lincoln

Bridlington Town 2013/14
Bridlington Town 2013/14

From the ridiculous to the sublime.

After the midweek draw against Liversedge, Town netted double figures against hapless Lincoln Moorlands Railway.

Lincoln must dread coming to Queensgate. They had conceded nine on their last two visits to Bridlington, and this time it was worse.

First chance went to the visitors as Manuel Nsumbu broke the offside trap but his weak effort was saved by debutant keeper Phil Dobson.

Dobson was in the thick of it moments later, coming to the edge of his area to punch a cross clear, but clattering into Moorlands striker Matthew Jacobs.

A brilliant pass by James Bennett sent Craig Hogg free but his stabbed shot was easy for Richard Chester, and then Tom Fleming set Danny Brunton away with a great ball down the left. His cross was missed by Sutton but the ball ran to Ash Allanson, who was again denied by Chester.

Next, Fleming saw his low shot gathered by the visitors’ keeper, and then a series of efforts were blocked by resolute Lincoln defending.

The breakthrough arrived on 16 minutes, as Dean Craig, making his first appearance for Town, galloped forward from right back and provided a low cross, which Hogg cleverly back-heeled past Chester.

A second arrived three minutes later, when Bennett picked up a pass from the right and drilled a crisp shot into the net from 25 yards.

An excellent block by Craig Kyatt sent Sutton’s shot out for a corner, but a third goal in six minutes arrived when Sutton cut back from the byline and Craig Palmer, still forward after the corner, tapped in from three yards.

The procession continued when Joel Sutton curled a beauty from just outside the area on 24 minutes, and it could have been five but Chester blocked an Allanson effort with his foot.

It took 10 minutes for the fifth goal to arrive. Sutton sent Hogg away and he was sent flying by a clumsy tackle by Nehemie Kuni. Sutton sent Chester the wrong way from the spot. 5-0 and there was almost an hour left to play.

Some of the football was Arsenal-esque as Sutton almost wrapped up a hat-trick with a goal which would have left Match Of The Day pundits purring, but a defender blocked his effort. Then right on half time, Sutton’s back post header hit Jordan Clucas on the back as he stood on the goalline.

The second half continued as the first had finished. Half-time substitute Rikki Paylor split the Moorlands defence and Hogg empahtically slammmed the ball passed Chester.

That was the striker’s final touch as he immediately departed to be replaced by Paul Wray.

On 50 minutes, it was 7-0. Sutton was bundled over in the box and completed his hat-trick by converting his second penalty of the game, sending his effort high into the net.

Wray showed neat footwork in the box but his shot bounced back off the bar but the eighth arrived on 56 minutes when Sutton raced past Kyatt and confidently added his fourth.

Fleming sent a free header over the bar, then Chester finally got one up on Sutton when he made a smart save as the striker ran through again, then he just got down quickly enough to thwart Ramm.

A lovely team move, started by Paylor and involving Tom Lee, allowed Fleming to score the ninth, at the second attempt, on 64 minutes.

Bennett walked in his second, as Town hit double figures on 82 minutes