Seasiders draw first blank of season at Retford

Retford United 0 Bridlington Town 0
Retford United 0 Bridlington Town 0

Although scoring more than two goals in competitive games has only happened twice this season, this was the first time Bridlington Town had failed to find the net from 17 games played.

Opponents Retford United, on the other hand, have now gone six games without registering a goal.

The game was affected by a wind blowing the length of the pitch but this could not be blamed for the poor performances of both sides that lacked quality, particularly in the final third of the field.

Town goalkeeper James Hitchcock was returning to face the club he left three weeks ago while Retford gave debuts to new signings Mark Hume and Adam Lee. Hume recently left his position of player/assistant manager with Bradford Park Avenue.

Lee had an early run towards Town’s area but shot wide from 20 yards and Retford goalkeeper Tom Fuller kicked clear before Craig Hogg could reach Chris Jenkinson’s through ball.

Ombeni Ruhanduka was too high with an attempt from the edge of the penalty area then had a free kick turned round for a corner by Fuller after Ash Allanson had been brought down.

Both sides missed the target with Lee failing from eight yards and Chris Adams’ sending a 25-yard effort well wide while Ruhanduka put in a poor delivery after getting the better of Fuller wide of the six-yard box.

Midway through the half Hume was cautioned for tripping Jenkinson on the halfway line then the Town defender got in a telling tackle as Hume and Lee threatened to break through.

There wasn’t much to cheer the spectators although Fuller saved from Ruhanduka following a move started at the back by Shaun Day and the goalkeeper did well to hold on to a Tom Fleming cross.

Bobby Johnson and Lee broke two-on-one just before the break but Ryan Nicholls intercepted a poor pass by Lee.

Town had the wind in their favour on the restart and Hogg fired over the top when Ruhanduka headed on Allanson’s left wing cross.

Retford hit back and Hitchcock dealt with two crosses while Ruhanduka got back to help the defence by clearing a counter-attack.

Two more chances went begging for the Seasiders as both Hogg and Ruhanduka got round the back of the Retford defence only to delay their strikes and lose the initiative.

Captain Liam Nelthorpe’s centre was too deep for Lee and went behind for a goal kick then Hitchcock twice saved from Hume before he was penalised for picking up the ball after Ruhanduka had got a foot to it in his own penalty area.

Fortunately the indirect free kick was easily cleared.

The two goalkeepers were hardly troubled much during the latter stages as any attempts on goal were either straight at them or wide of the target and the game petered out as a tame draw, which was probably a fair result as neither side had done enough to claim all three points.

This was not a performance to inspire the handful of travelling fans but their team did get a point to remain defeated in just one league game this season.

There are some fixture changes for Town because of the postponements of the two home league games against Parkgate and Maltby Main.

The draw for the East Riding Senior Cup has given them an away tie at Pocklington Town and this game will kick off at 7:15pm on Wednesday, November 12 with the game at home to Cleethorpes Town being moved back three weeks to December 3.

The game at home to Parkgate, controversially postponed two weeks ago, has yet to be rearranged.