Rovers return to top as Sports Club smash 10

Bridlington Rovers v Foresters Athletic 2nds
Bridlington Rovers v Foresters Athletic 2nds

Two wins in four days have propelled Bridlington Rovers back to the top of the Driffield and District League Premier Division table.

After edging past Bridlington Excelsior 3-2 last Wednesday, Lee Thomson’s men beat Forester Athletic 2nds 4-2 at Gypsey Road to move three points clear.

Bridlington Rovers v Foresters Athletic 2nds

Bridlington Rovers v Foresters Athletic 2nds

Trev Tindall struck twice with Mark Clifton and Lewis Goodacre also on target in a fine second-half performance.

Thomson said: “The teams around us have games in hand but points on the board at this stage is vital. With two games a week, it’s difficult to keep the consistency.”

A depleted Stirling Wanderers went down 8-2 to Burton Agnes, who had drawn 0-0 with Mermaid United Old Boys in midweek.

Two teams in Division One rattled in 16 goals between them as they coasted to victory.

Bridlington Sports club res v Full Measure

Bridlington Sports club res v Full Measure

Bridlington Sports Club Reserves raced into an early 4-0 lead and were 5-1 up at half- ime against Full Measure.

The Driffield team had Rich Addinall sent off in the second half and the goals continued to fly in at both ends, with Club eventually winning 10-4.

Measure manager Ross Gray said: “Club fully deserved their victory. They were the better team but it was a very different set of players compared to even a month ago.

“We are devastated as that’s probably our title hopes gone now, but we’re a good team and will come back strongly.”

Bridlington Sports club res v Full Measure

Bridlington Sports club res v Full Measure

Bridlington Snooker Centre hit Nafferton United for six, wrapping up a 6-1 win at Matson Road.

The A Saunderson Trophy final will be an all-Bridlington affair, as Coachman and Crown came through their semi-final ties.

Coachman made it to their second final of their debut season after seeing off Flamborough 1sts 3-2 after extra-time.

The Division One side were looking the more deadly in the first half and were unlucky to not take the lead early after a floated free-kick in from Lewis Bean found the head of the unmarked Dale Nelthorpe only to see his header glance wide of the far post.

Nathan Bristow clipped the outside of the post for Flamborough before in the 25th minute, a low hard ball in from the left by Coachman’s Ben I’Anson was met perfectly on the edge of the box by Liam Boucher, whose sweet strike flew into the top right corner.

Flamborough piled on the pressure at the start of the second half and five minutes in, Sam Hanson’s strike levelled things up.

Eight minutes from time, Coachman thought they had found the winner, when Billy Simpson tricked his way into the area, and his shot deflected over stranded keeper Craig Pickering.

But Boro forced an extra 30 minutes when Ben Traves rose above the Coachman defence and after two deflections, Flamborough were level once again.

Extra-time was end-to-end but with seven minutes remaining, Simpson’s ball out to Jason Coultas saw the winger get an inch-perfect cross into the area which was beautifully met by captain Alex Cobden’s head and he steered the ball past Pickering.

Crown will provide the opposition in the final at Queensgate after an impressive 4-2 win over Division One leaders Driffield Star.

Straight from the kick-off, Crown gave the Star players no time to settle, and with 15 minutess gone, Josh Samanjoul played though Joel Rollinson who beat the offside trap to open the scoring.

Star had their chances but five minutes before the interval, Rollinson found himself one-on-one with the keeper and doubled Crown’s lead.

The striker could have completed a first-half hat-trick but missed a great chance and Crown’s nerves were on edge when Driffield Star pulled a goal back in the 63rd minute.

Against the run of play, Samanjoul’s cross found Adi Aucott and he put daylight between the two teams at 3-1.

The remainder of the half saw Crown take control with everyone playing their part and it was only a matter of time before all the pressure paid off with a fourth goal.

The ball was played out to Rollinson who raced though on goal only for the keeper to save his effort, but the ball fell to Samanjoul and his quick pass to Aucott allowed him to grab his second of the afternoon.

In the dying minutes of the game, Star got their second goal with a stunning strike but it was too little too late.