Reserves go top after comeback at Sculcoates

Sculcoates Amateurs Reserves 3 Bridlington Town Reserves 4
Sculcoates Amateurs Reserves 3 Bridlington Town Reserves 4

Bridlington Town Reserves are top of the East Riding County League Premier Division after a stunning comeback at Sculcoates Amateurs Reserves.

They travelled to Chanterlands Avenue in Hull to face a strong and buoyant opposition and were immediately on the back foot.

Although Sculcoates didn’t create any clear chances, they kept possession well and didn’t allow Town much going forward.

After 15 minutes, Sculcoates took the lead with a 20-yard strike into the top corner and as in previous weeks, Town had to come from behind if they were to keep up their 100% start.

The home side’s goal kicked Town into action and Chris Eyre and Louis Gregory went close, but matters got worse for the visitors as they fell two behind and a comeback looked unlikely.

Fortunately, just before the half time whistle, Eyre latched on to man of the match Matty Richardson’s cross and pulled Town back to 2-1.

Town spoke about picking up the tempo and taking the game to Scullys, but early in the second half their sloppy passing allowed the home side the ball far too easily and they were made to pay, going 3-1 behind.

Town had to change and Levi Fox and Sam Jones were introduced and the Seasiders’ Louis Rafter pulled a goal back.

This gave them a sense that they could salvage something from the game and not long afterwards, Gregory pulled Town level.

Sensing a win, Frankie Reffold replaced Rafter and Town started to dominate. From a corner, defender Dale Wain stole the winner.

After a poor first half, excellent character and fitness won this game along with a never-say-die attitude.

Next up for Town Reserves is an East Riding Intermediate Cup first round clash against Longhill Ravens at Queensgate on Saturday, 2pm kick off.

Bridlington Sports Club County went down 2-1 to Hedon Rangers Reserves in the County League Senior Cup .