Reeson’s late winner decides 10-a-side game

Bridlington Town 2 Thackley 1
Bridlington Town 2 Thackley 1

There were fireworks at the start and at the end, as Bridlington ground out a win over Thackley in unusual circumstances.

There can have been few games where both teams have had to play 89 minutes with 10 men.

But referee Neil Guest showed red cards to both number 11s in the first 30 seconds after an off-the-ball scuffle.

And with the two teams clearly shattered after playing the whole game a man short, the Seasiders somehow found the energy to muster an injury-time winner thanks to sub Jamie Reeson.

What happened in between the incidents which bookmarked the game, was fairly drab, but for the second time in a week, Town took the points with a late goal.

Bridlington went on the attack from the kick off and the ball was cleared by Thackley’s defence. With all eyes on the ball, back at the halfway line, a brawl broke out on the edge of Thackley’s area.

With around 10 players involved in the aftermath, Guest produced a red card for the visitors’ Luke Richardson and another for Town’s Tom Lee, who insisted he had been the innocent party in the melee.

Once things settled down, Craig Hogg was close to opening the scoring when his chip fell agonisingly wide of the far post. He also missed a very good one-on-one chance, blasting wide after Joel Sutton’s free kick.

After, the break, Thackley’s Chris Davey need treatment after catching a clearance full in the face.

Not long after he had returned from the sidelines, Davey proved he had shaken off the effects of the blow, by giving the away side the lead.

Matt Mathers won a towering header on the halfway line and sub Liam Hudson turned and flicked a path into the path of Davey, who rifled a shot beyond Dobson.

Town threw on teenage striker Jarrod Smalley midway through the half and he was to make a big impact, with assists for both goals as the hosts turned the game around.

On 76 minutes, he laid the ball back for captain Tom Fleming to strike a volley which bounced past Ben Higginson and nestled in the corner.

Davey fired a shot wide, after find room on the left-hand side of the prnalty area, and he should have been given an even better opportunity but a poor ball across the box by Hudson was cut out by Dobson, with Davey all alone and sensing a tap-in.

The keeper easily saved a shot from Paul Whiteley and it seemed that fatigue would prevent either side from finding a winner.

But two minutes into injury time, Reeson struck. Fleming did the hard work, drifting acorss the 18-yard box and evading tackles.

He passed to Smalley who found his fellow sub Reeson. Thackley made half-hearted appeals for offside, but the striker showed great composure to knock the ball past Higginson.