Phillips at the double to put Town into the semis

editorial image

Beverley Town 0 Bridlington Town 2

East Riding Senior Cup Quarter Final

TOWN booked their place in the semi-finals alongside North Ferriby United, Hull City and Reckitts with this victory on a heavy pitch thanks to two more goals from Scott Phillips who has scored six times in his last four starts.

Nathan Cook returned for the Seasiders after a one-match suspension but skipper Tom Fleming was unavailable and Ben Silburn is cup-tied.

Beverley player-manager Dave Ricardo did not include himself in the squad and Craig Palmer’s was ruled out of playing against his former teammates through injury.

The pitch started to cut up from the outset and it was obvious that the long ball game may be the order of the day as errors were bound to be made in conditions that made a passing game difficult.

Dan Kingsley had the first opportunity in the match, after a mistake by Chris Batchelor had let him in, but he drove his effort wide.

Phillips had a similar result at the other end following a move between Ash Allanson and Josh Greening.

Greening was again involved when Nathan Cook met his ball in from the left but Cook’s first time shot also missed the target.

Luke Thompson turned a free kick from Mike Dixon into the middle where Mark Wilberforce was equal to it.

After the game had tended to go from end to end Bridlington took the lead on 15 minutes. An attempted back pass found Phillips unmarked and, although he didn’t connect cleanly with the ball, his attempt crept over the line despite the efforts of James Whittingham to try and keep it out.

Kingsley made ground down the left before putting in a deep cross beyond the far post that saw Luke Thompson put a valiant effort wide of the post.

More of the play now tended to be in the home half and Beverley struggled to get the ball clear after a neat build-up by Frank Belt, Batchelor and Phillips until Greening was penalised for a push.

Greening was booked after 34 minutes when he disputed a handball given against him.

As the visitors continued to press Beverley worked the ball out of defence and Wilberforce held a 25-yard shot from Dixon.

Phillips was brought down by Jon Ricardo 20 yards from goal and although Billy Logan’s free kick hit the wall, Greening got in a shot that had the sting taken out of it by a deflection and it went straight to goalkeeper Adam Nicholson.

As the half was coming to its close a late surge saw the hosts gain a corner but Brid countered and were awarded a free kick for Asa Pardoe’s foul on Batchelor.

Belt found Tom Lee in the six-yard box from the kick but the defender scuffed his shot wide under attention from Nicholson.

On the restart Beverley had an escape when Nicholson’s kick from a Belt cross struck Phillips and fell to Batchelor who lobbed over the goalkeeper but also cleared the crossbar.

Batchelor saw another attempt go across goal and out for a goal kick after some good play by Greening had given him the chance.

Ten minutes into the half Dave Ricardo made a triple substitution by putting on Rob Northern, who this week signed for Brid on a dual registration, Dan Norton and Tyler Collingshaw in an attempt to add some impetus.

Nicholson made a spectacular looking save from Greening then Batchelor found Belt on the overlap but from the return pass Batchelor was crowded out.

Allanson stroked a free kick narrowly wide and Phillips was caught offside when Greening chested down Batchelor’ diagonal cross.

Beverley started to come more into it and posed a few problems but the defence held tight with both Aziz and Chris Jenkinson making notable contributions in the centre.

A free kick was cleared by Jenkinson following Allanson’s foul on Luke Thompson and Aziz put a cross from Northern behind for a corner.

Another cross, this time from Luke Thompson, was headed straight at Wilberforce by Northern when a yard either side would have levelled the score.

Phillips made a good turn to find Batchelor who had his shot saved and Hogg, on for Greening, saw his follow-up effort blocked. Hogg then put a snap shot over the top.

Dixon put in a cross from near the halfway line but Wilberforce clung on to it as Northern closed in.

Lee made a timely interception and found Batchelor whose 30-yarder was tipped over by Nicholson.

With eight minutes remaining a big shout for handball in the Beverley area was turned down by referee Darren Whatling but within seconds Hogg was upended by Dixon and Phillips doubled his tally by firing the spot-kick out of Nicholson’s reach.

Although the visitors were back in control, Beverley made a late concerted effort but wasted a corner by putting it directly on to the roof of the net then Northern shot wide after appeals for handball against him were ignored.

Just before the final whistle Nicholson came up for a free kick but managed to get back to thwart the counter attack when it was cleared.