Patched-up Town killed off by dubious penalty

Basford United 3 Bridlington Town 1
Basford United 3 Bridlington Town 1

After losing heavily at home to Basford in midweek, a patched up Bridlington Town side put in a valiant effort in the return match and took the lead before the break against a vulnerable-looking defence.

The home side, influenced by ex-Aston Villa midfielder and England international Lee Hendrie, pushed forward in the second half to go in front with 18 minutes left. The game was equally poised but an appalling penalty decision practically helped to put the game beyond the Seasiders.

RikkiPaylor and Joel Sutton combined to put Jarrod Smalley away down the right flank only for his ball in towards Hogg to be cleared for a corner by Michael Leslie. Adam Crane then had his centre held by Ali Barcherini.

Basford came into it with Philip Dobson catching a Stuart Hendrie free kick and saving a 30-yard effort from the same player. Leslie headed a Theo Smith cross straight at Dobson and Ryan Whitehurst shot wide after being given the chance by Lee Hendrie.

Barcherini saved a Sutton free kick at full stretch after Hogg had been brought down 25 yards out and from the resultant corner taken by Sutton, Smalley turned the ball in to register the Seasiders first goal in five hours of football.

Griffin cleaned up after Dobson had pushed away a cross from Smith then seven minutes before half time Adam Crane and David Boafo were cautioned after a tussle, although the Basford man was somewhat fortunate not to be shown red after pushing his hands into Crane’s face.

Blair Anderson’s run was halted by some good defending from Lee and as Town’s weakened side caused problems for the Basford defenders Hogg had an attempt blocked while Crane was denied by Daniel Fletcher’s clearance.

After the interval Dobson made two excellent saves from Stuart Hendrie and Anderson but six minutes in Theo Smith got past Day for the first time in the game and his cross was headed past Dobson by Anderson from close in.

Basford were on the front foot and Chris Jenkinson put the ball behind after Dobson had turned aside Lee Hendrie’s shot and Dobson denied Hendrie again by tipping his flighted effort round the post.

Town’s players were putting in a Herculean effort and they held out until the 72nd minute when Smith had a corner returned to him and from his centre Stuart Hendrie struck the ball in. Six minutes later Hogg got in a clean tackle on Anderson in the penalty area to take the ball away from the Basford player who went sprawling and stayed down injured. Dudley referee Philip Hardisty must have been the only person in the ground to think it was a penalty as he pointed to the spot much to the amusement of the home dugout. Whitehurst duly converted the kick.

Although slightly deflated by the decision Town did not give up and Jenkinson had a header cleared off the line by Sam Craven then flicked on a Joel Sutton effort but it went straight through to the goalkeeper.