Old boys thwart Town in semi

Tom Chippendale, in action here for Brid Town, scored Hall Road's winner.
Tom Chippendale, in action here for Brid Town, scored Hall Road's winner.

Hall Road Rangers 2

Bridlington Town 1

East Riding Senior Cup Semi Final

(At the Roy West Centre, Hull)

NO VISIT to the KC Stadium for Bridlington Town this season as they were deservedly beaten by a Hall Road Rangers side that earned the right to face North Ferriby United in the final.

Town were without injured skipper Tom Fleming and the cup-tied Gareth Owen but otherwise had all their main squad on duty.

Former Bridlington manager Billy Heath included five players that have played for the Queensgate outfit in his line-up plus one more on the substitutes’ bench.

A free kick in the early stages was punched away by Mark Wilberforce under the attention of two opponents but as Brid started to assert themselves they took the lead on five minutes.

Tom Lee played the ball out right to Alex Rhodes who moved it on to James Bennett and Scott Phillips headed his cross into the net from the edge of the six-yard box.

Antonio Pecora had two long range efforts to deal with when he held Lee’s 35-yarder at the second attempt and then tipped Phillips’ shot from 25 yards round the post for a corner.

Wilberforce again punched at a Martin Thacker free kick but this time unconvincingly and Craig Palmer blocked the follow up before completing the clearance.

A free kick conceded by Steve Lyon near his own by-line was cleared up field where Town had a numerical advantage over their opponents but after running into the penalty area Rhodes’ ball into the middle was scrambled clear.

Thacker was on song with his free kick delivery and Wilberforce did well to save one from 30 yards at his right hand post before watching a Dave Ricardo effort curl just wide from 25 yards.

Town suffered a setback just before the half-hour mark when a high tackle ended Ash Allanson’s participation and Phil Harrison, who also took over the armband, replaced him.

Another Thacker free kick was tipped round the post then Clarke turned to hit a shot against the bar from the edge of the penalty area. The Seasiders also managed to hit the woodwork during the first half.

As decisions appeared to be going against his side Harrison was booked for dissent and then Martin Thacker found his range when he shot into the corner of the net after 42 minutes from a dubiously given free kick 20 yards out.

Clarke went past both Rhodes and Harrison near the by-line but Wilberforce thankfully dropped on to the low cross and saved again when a free kick was flicked on.

Brid started the second half on the attack and Suddaby needlessly fouled Hogg with Eeles having his header from Bennett’s free kick deflected for a corner.

Rhodes put out a cross from Thacker for a corner and there was a heart-stopping moment when Wilberforce completely missed Thacker’s corner but it went behind for a goal kick.

After 64 minutes former Town player Tom Chippendale came on in place of Crane and three minutes later he came back to haunt his ex-teammates when he got on the end of a Thacker free kick after Walker had been pulled back.

Just before the end a rare attack from Town ended when Pecora gathered a shot from Hogg.

At the final whistle there were scenes of jubilation, and deservedly so, within the ranks of the Dene Park side.

Bridlington Town: Wilberforce, Rhodes (Barber 77), Kemp, Ash Allanson (Harrison 29), Eeles, Palmer, Phillips, Lee, Lyon (Brunton 65), Bennett, Hogg

Subs not used: Wright, Aaron Allanson