New signing is a Wray of light for shaky Town

Crown 3 Bridlington Town 5
Crown 3 Bridlington Town 5

Bridlington Town gave a Jekyll and Hyde performance as they started out on their quest to win back-to-back East Riding Senior Cups.

After controlling the first half and going into the break 4-1 to the good, they added another goal 20 minutes into the second half before losing their discipline and by the end they were left hanging on as Crown threw everything at them.

The Seasiders’ were without the injured quartet of Ash Allanson, Lewis Clarkson, Jamie Reeson and Joel Sutton, as well as the unavailable Ryan Nicholls and Ombeni Ruhanduka.

Added to the squad were two 18-year-olds, reserve team player Louis Rafter and new signing Andy Norfolk, who had been on dual registration with Barton Town Old Boys and Goole AFC.

Norfolk looked lively early on and gave the visitors the lead from the penalty spot in the fifth minute after Joe Oglesby had handled the ball in the area.

Town doubled the lead eight minutes later when Crown goalkeeper and captain Craig O’Grady attempted to roll the ball out to a defender but only succeeded in hitting the foot of Paul Wray and watched aghast as it went past him into the net.

The Seasiders were well on top, although an Oglesby effort from 25 yards narrowly cleared James Hitchcock’s bar soon after he had held on to a centre from Mike Rustill.

However, after a spot of ping-pong in the Crown area when the bar was struck and a shot had been blocked, Alex Knaggs pounced to head the loose ball in with just over twenty minutes gone.

Three minutes later Alex Reveley, who had just lofted the ball wide with Hitchcock off his line, pulled one back when a lack of concentration by the goalkeeper let him in.

He attempted to find Benn Lewis but the alert Reveley intercepted the ball and ran it into the goal.

Norfolk was denied by O’Grady’s flying save and Ryan McCallister who diverted the youngster’s effort for a corner. He then went close by putting the ball just over the top from Will Waudby’s pass.

Five minutes before half time Tom Fleming crossed from the left and Will Waudby helped it on to Wray who netted from eight yards.

Norfolk sent a shot from the left past the far post then another poor pass in defence almost let Reveley in again, but hampered by back-tracking defenders he could only find the hands of Hitchcock.

The Seasiders continued to have the better of the exchanges in the opening stages of the second half, then just before the hour brought on Rafter for his first taste of first team football and he didn’t disappoint, shooting just wide after the ball was laid back to him.

In the 64th minute Town looked comfortably home and dry when Chris Jenkison met a perfectly delivered Will Waudby free kick to head in number five.

Eighteen minutes from time some slack defending allowed Devaney to make himself some room and score a second for the hosts.

Crown, sensing that they were not out of it yet pressed forward causing Town to lose their composure that brought about three bookings.

Craig Hogg replaced the hard-working Norfolk but five minutes from time, with Town vainly appealing for offside, Reveley got behind the defence to score his second of the afternoon and set up a frenetic finish but somehow the visitors managed to hold on for a victory that earlier appeared to have been a formality.