Late penalty rescues a point for Seasiders

Bridlington Town 2 Albion Sports 2
Bridlington Town 2 Albion Sports 2

Goals in the first five minutes and the last five minutes meant Bridlington Town earned a hard-fought draw against Albion Sports on Wednesday night.

In the absence of several senior players, striker Craig Hogg was Town’s captain for the evening and he marked the occasion by opening the scoring early on.

However, it needed a late penalty from substitute and new signing Tyler Collishaw to rescue a point after Albion striker Karl Hall found the net twice.

Hogg gave Town the perfect start on four minutes when he guided a brilliant header across goal and in off the far post from Danny Norton’s dinked cross.

The hosts almost doubled their lead when Albion keeper Aaron Brian saved an effort from Ombeni Ruhanduka. His long punt downfield cause a mix up in the Town defence and Hall ran through to nod the ball over a stranded Andy Sandall.

Sandall then made a point-blank save to stop the visitors taking the lead, although he knew little about it. Danny Facey’s low cross was turned goalwards by Hall from six-yards, but struck the keeper’s feet and bounced out.

Then, a last ditch block by an Albion deflected Hogg’s strike over the bar, after good build-up down the right from Jarrod Smalley and Danny Smith.

Hogg was relishing wearing the armband and tried his luck again, but was denied by a fine flying save by Brian on the half-hour mark.

And just before half time, the Seasiders were grateful Smith was in the right place at the right time to head the ball off his own line, when Lewis Morgan met a deep left-wing corner.

Town had to reshuffle early in the second half when Ryan Nicholls, who had enjoyed an impressive game in defence, was injured, and a second substitution meant a debut for winger Tom Chippendale.

Brid’s best chance of the early stages of the second half came via an Albion defender, when James Firth sent a flying header towards his own goal from Chippendale’s cross.

But on the hour mark, Albion took the lead. Ferdinand Annur wriggled past Benn Lewis on the left-hand side of the area, cut the ball back for Hall and the tall striker rifled into the roof of the net from 10 yards.

Sub Shaun Day’s glancing header from a free kick was gathered by Brian as Town looked for an instant response.

But Albion should have made the game safe midway through the half. First, Hall blocked Alex Knaggs’ clearanceand tried to square to Facey, but his pass was too weak and the defence scrambled the ball to safety.

Facey hit the side netting and Bridlington had a real let off when Smith, already on a yellow card, seemed to clip Alex Cusack’s ankles as he ran through on goal, but play was waved on.

The Seasiders were creating problems of their own making by insisting on playing short passes around their own penalty area, but Albion couldn’t take advantage of the frequent sloppiness in possession.

And Bridlington’s battling qualities eventually eaned a point. Hogg chased Collishaw’s pass in the right channel and was tripped.

The furious visitors insisted it was outside the area but a penalty was given and Collishaw calmly waited for Brian to dive to his left before rolling the ball into the other corner.

Collishaw then had another goal ruled out for offside, and Brid made a series of blocks after a game of pinball in their area, as the two mid-table sides had to settle for a point each.