Jackdaws U12s secure the double

Burlington Jackdaws v Cayton Corinthians u12 final
Burlington Jackdaws v Cayton Corinthians u12 final

Burlington Jackdaws U12 3

Cayton Corinthians U12 2

FOUR days after securing the league title Jackdaws were looking to finish off their season in style by claiming the league cup too, but in order to do so they had to overcome a strong Cayton outfit.

The opening 20 minutes was a very tense affair as both sides seemed to be waiting for their nerves to settle.

Both sets of strikers were left to feed on the long ball which was dealt with comfortably more often than not by the dominant Harry Ellis and Ryan Petre at the heart of the Jackdaws defence.

Harry Leddy was as alert as ever to sweep up a flurry of dangerous through balls while Jackdaws attacking edge was coming courtesy of Jordan Ball and Connor McKinnry on the flanks.

It wasn’t until the final 10 minutes of the first half that the game came to life.

Firstly, Petre got his head to an excellent delivery from Oliver Brown which looped inches over the cross bar then a high looping cross from the tireless Jordan Booth found Archie Brown at the back stick who showed great technique to slide the ball first time into the bottom corner.

The pace of Ashley Armitage upfront was really beginning to stretch the game and give the Jackdaw’s midfield more time on the ball to pick their passes.

One of many solid tackles from Zach Hunter saw the ball break to Joel Ellis-Beesting on the left who laid it off to Brown in the middle of the park and he set Jack Pannhausen free with a clever chipped pass.

Pannhausen then produced a finish teeming with quality as he lobbed the ball over the oncoming Cayton keeper to make it 2-0 at half time.

Corinthians started the second half strongly with the wind at their backs and quickly got themselves back into the game courtesy of a stinging left footed shot from their wide man to make it 2-1.

Jackdaws now had to withstand some heavy pressure and as a team they showed great resilience.

Lewis Murray showed great tenacity throughout the whole game and didn’t give the Cayton winger much of a sniff going forward.

Lewis Lamb had been reintroduced up front and was making an excellent work of holding the ball up when he could as he tried to give the defence some respite.

The decisive moment of the game came with 10 minutes remaining. Some fantastic closing down in the middle of the park from Brown and Booth saw the ball break to Lamb who played a delightful slide rule pass in between the Cayton centre halves for Pannhausen to latch on to. From 10 yards out he made no mistake and coolly applied the finishing touch as he has done on many occasions this season to make it 3-1.

It was all hands to the pump now for Cayton as they tried desperately to find the back of the Jackdaws’ net.

Leddy in goal showed his fantastic handling on more than one occasion as the ball got lifted high into his penalty box.

Cayton did make it a nervy finish however as they pulled one back with three minutes left, a stunning strike from 20 yards out gave Leddy no chance as it dropped just beneath his crossbar.

Jackdaws then spent the final few minutes camped on the edge of their box and it took several heroic interceptions and last ditch tackles from the likes of Petre and Hunter to see the game out, but see it out they did to claim the league and cup double.

Man of the match: Jack Pannhausen.