Injury-hit Seasiders take the points at Parramore

Worksop Parramore 0 – Bridlington Town 3

Almost two months ago Bridlington Town went to Worksop Parramore for a League Cup tie that they lost despite dominating the game from start to finish. On Saturday, with a patched up team, they had to give a different type of performance, which was full of determination and discipline and it reaped the dividends.

Town were forced into three changes from the side that won at Arnold in midweek with Tom Fleming suspended and Danny Buttle needed by his parent club Brigg Town. Nathan Cook sustained a hamstring pull at Arnold and was added to an injury list of Scott Phillips, Tom Lee and Frank Belt while Mark Wilberforce and Chris Batchelor were still unavailable. Beverley Town were without a fixture so Mitch Cook was able to call on the services of Tyler Collishaw, Asa Pardoe and Rob Northen who all started the game with youngster Ben Silburn the lone substitute.

Town’s first attempt at goal was from long range by Craig Hogg and, despite it taking an awkward bounce; goalkeeper Steve Hernandez caught it safely. Ash Allanson then put in a searching free kick to the far post that was cleared.

Worksop hit back to win two consecutive corners, out of a total of seven in the first half, but were unable to make them count. Town on the other hand never gained a corner during the entire game.

Collishaw won the ball in midfield and from his pass Hogg tried a rising shot from 25 yards that just cleared the bar. Hogg was then involved in a neat move with Collishaw and Josh Greening but the latter’s shot was taken by Hernandez.

A first time effort by Lee Whittington from Simon Barraclough’s cross was too high and Chris Jenkinson cut out a forward ball from Lee Thompson intended for Simon Mirfin.

Paul Fraser turned round Barraclough’s shot from inside the box and parried Jordan Hatton’s header from the resultant corner before turning over the follow-up attempt.

Parramore were more on the attack but Town never lost their shape and after 39 minutes the visitors went ahead from the penalty spot. A fine turn by Hogg took him past Adam Fretwell and into the penalty area where a desperate lunge by Worksop captain Darryl Winters sent him sprawling. Doncaster referee Mark Griffiths allowed play to continue but when no advantage was gained he brought play back to award the spot-kick, which Billy Logan blasted past Hernandez and into the bottom corner of the net.

A blocking tackle by Jenkinson on Barraclough conceded another corner, which was miscued by Logan and gave Whittington a chance that he hit well over the top. Just before half-time Barraclough played Whittington in but Fraser was alert enough to come out and save at his feet.

At the start of the second half Ben Silburn came on in place of Aaron Allanson who was feeling the effects of an old injury in his second start of the week after completing the full ninety minutes at Arnold. The tireless Northen was also carrying a knock and was pushed forward with Hogg dropping deeper.

Worksop conceded two early free kicks and with Jenkinson in a good position from one the ball just wouldn’t sit down in time for him to get a strike.

Again Worksop went on the offensive and Greening cleared a Hatton cross then when Will McGhie got past Logan his ball into the middle was eventually got away by the packed defence.

Greening went on a run from halfway and into the home penalty area where a vital last touch let him down and the ball went through to Hernandez but, after 57 minutes, Town increased their lead following a blatant trip on Logan as he broke down the right. Ash Allanson’s delivery towards the far post was contested by Scott Lowe and Hogg and ended up in the net. Although there was a hint of an own goal the Bridlington striker claimed the last touch.

Pardoe was booked for a foul on Mirfin then the Worksop man just missed the target after Lee Thompson had set up the opportunity.

Two more Greening runs deep into the opponents’ territory were brought to a halt by timely tackles and Silburn who had been causing problems on the right saw his left foot shot well saved by Hernandez.

With seventeen minutes left Worksop made a double substitution and three minutes later followed it up with a third as they tried to salvage something from the game but substitute Lee Holmes put a chance into the side-netting then from a deep cross by Chris Fawcus he rose at the far post where Fraser was well positioned to catch his header before Greening was on hand again to block a Mirfin effort.

Worksop were getting frustrated after constantly being caught offside and as Logan broke forward Luke Fedorenko was booked for a cynical challenge.

With two minutes remaining Silburn played the ball into Hogg who put the result beyond doubt. Although Hernandez blocked his initial shot he followed it up to head home.

Worksop Parramore: Hernandez, Thompson, Fawcus, Lowe, Winter (c), Fretwell, Mirfin, Hatton, Barraclough (Bates 73), Whittington (Holmes 73), McGhie (Fedorenko 76).

Unused substitutes: Tootle, Axcell.

Bridlington Town: Fraser, Aziz, Pardoe, Ash Allanson (c), Jenkinson, Collishaw, Logan, Aaron Allanson (Silburn 46), Northen, Hogg, Greening.

Attendance: 43

Man of the Match: Josh Greening