Hull City youngsters have too much for Sports Club

Bridlington Sports Club v Hull City
Bridlington Sports Club v Hull City

Bridlington Sports Club 1

Hull City 3

East Riding Senior Cup

IT WAS a first on Saturday when Bridlington Sports Club hosted Hull City in the second round of the Senior Cup, the first time ever that Sports Club have played a professional oufit.

The visitors are managed by ex-Tottenham Hotspur and Birmingham City midfielder Stephen Clemence and it came as no surprise that his charges started the brighter of the two sides, putting the home defence under extreme pressure.

Sports Club attempted to play the ball out from the back but due to some nervous play caused by the constant pressure they found it very difficult to make much progress.

In the 14th minute Hull’s pressure finally paid off when Conor Townsend neatly flicked a cross over keeper Steve Janney and into the back of the net.

Despite the visitors having the majority of possession, Sports Club started finding their feet and produced several passages of decent passing football without managing to trouble the Tigers’ defence, their only chance coming from a set-piece but Lyle Bogle’s header was straight at the Hull keeper.

After the restart Sports Club attempted to bring their forwards more into the game and for a while it was an even contest until City forged a few chances and as they pushed forward in an attempt to increase their lead, Sports Club hit them on the break and stunned their visitors with an equalier.

Billy Tyler received the ball in plenty of space and before he could be closed down he unleashed a volley into the far top corner.

The goal should have increased the home side’s confidence to go and get a result, but the opposite happened. Dean Douthwaite was caught in possession and City broke quickly to take advantage of the Sports Club defence being out of position and unmarked striker Jack Barlow capitalised to restore the lead.

This deflated the home side but they refused to accept defeat and continued to work tirelessly leading to a good chance but the Hull keeper did well to keep out Chris Brown’s half volley.

Despite not seeing as much of the ball as their opponents Sports Club now looked the more likely side to score and following a good run down the left by Paul Smith, he passed to Tyler whose cross found Jay Wallace who turned his marker but his shot was too near the keeper.

The tie was settled in injury time when the professional side took advantage of tiring home legs when Lewis Clarkson at the far post made no mistake to make it 3-1.

Man of the match: Paul Smith

Manager’s comments: “After a nervous start we settled in to the game well and despite Hull having most of the possession we managed to create the better chances.

“Great credit to the lads for their efforts, it was a good game to watch and one to remember from a personal point of view.”