Greening breaks Brid hearts in injury time

Josh Greening's diving header deep into injury time sent Tadcaster Albion to the top of the table and ended Bridlington Town's 13-game unbeaten run.

Saturday, 6th February 2016, 6:32 pm
Updated Saturday, 6th February 2016, 7:39 pm
Bridlington Town 0 Tadcaster Albion 1

The Seasiders’ former striker netted a late, late winner at Queensgate for the second year running to decide a game where goalscoring chances were few and far between.

Greening’s goal decided this fixture in the 90th minute last season, this time he left it even later, finding himself unmarked six yards out in the 93rd minute to turn Jason Mycoe’s pinpoint cross past James Hitchcock.

It was only Taddy’s second effort on target of the afternoon, and the hosts only worked the keeper once themselves, but Albion’s ruthless streak underlined why they will be favourites to lift the NCEL trophy in the spring.

A heavy pitch and blustery conditions meant there was not too much quality on show throughout, but plenty of hard work and determination from both sides.

They started the day in second and third in the Premier Division table, and every other game on the fixture list fell victim to the weather.

Despite a slight worry at lunchtime, after torrential rain during the morning, the pitch was passed fit for play and Taddy were quickest out of the blocks.

Adam Baker played in Nick Black but his shot took a nick off a defender and deflected wide of the far post.

Chris Jenkinson had to make a timely intervention to deny former Scarborough Athletic man Jimmy Beadle after a good move again involving Baker.

At the other end, Andy Norfolk volleyed over and then he was inches away from meeting Will Waudby’s low cross, after he had tricked his way past Jordan Armstrong.

And barring, an Eddy Birch volley which went high over the bar, that was about it for goalmouth action in the opening 45 minutes.

Birch went closer at the start of the second half, floating a free kick just too high after a foul on Alex Knaggs, and Joel Sutton was also off target with an attempt as Town began well after the break.

Norfolk and Waudby linked up well again but Sutton’s shot was deflected wide, before Danny Brunton became the second Bridlington man to be booked.

Good determination by Benn Lewis led to him setting Sutton free but Gregg Anderson was able to divert his cross behind for a corner.

Birch and captain Tom Fleming were shown yellow cards, along with Taddy’s Baker, as the chances of a goal looked more and more remote.

Lewis’ long-range shot was too high and then, in the 65th minute, came the first bit of work for a goalkeeper, as Baker got on the end of a flick-on but shot straight at Hitchcock.

Andy Milne had to be at full stretch to stop the ball dropping to Sutton in the Taddy area as it became clear one goal would win the game.

Jonathan Greening, who gave a masterclass in how to keep possession all afternoon, blazed over from 25 yards and Beadle headed powerfully wide from Armstrong’s cross, as Taddy enjoyed a spell of dominance.

Birch finally made Tadcaster keeper Gary Stevens make a save, but it was a routine one, as the game entered the final 10 minutes.

When an audicious chipped pass by Josh Greening opened up the defence and Beadle lobbed a shot beyond a stranded Hitchcock and wide, everyone assumed the stalemate wouldn’t be broken.

But Greening’s header, despite half-hearted appeals for offside, sparked wild celebrations on and off the pitch, was a hammer blow to Town, whose efforts easily deserved a point.