Goalless draw was not short on entertainment

Town v Thackley
Town v Thackley

Bridlington Town 0

Thackley 0

THACKLEY arrived at Queensgate fresh from a mid-week 5-0 win over Selby Town that took them level on points with the Seasiders. Town had not had a game since the previous Saturday, giving Ash Allanson and Craig Palmer time to recover from the injuries they sustained at Retford and take their places in a team that showed only one change and that was in goal where Mark Wilberforce replaced Paul Fraser.

The game itself was one of those rarities in football, an entertaining goalless draw played on a superb surface. Both sides created enough chances but neither was able to break the deadlock and a draw was a fair result.

Thackley came to play football instead of resorting to spoiling tactics as so many teams do when they visit Queensgate and as a result proved to be one of the best visiting teams to play there in recent seasons.

The visitors went close early on when a shot from a layback went just wide then Town made two neat passing movements down the right hand side, the second of which saw a clearance deflect off Ash Allanson and straight to goalkeeper Matt Convey.

Thackley looked dangerous going forward and when Brice Tiani broke down the left flank, Nathan Cook got in a tackle to concede a corner. This led to a scramble in front of the Bridlington goal where Tom Fleming finally hacked clear to alleviate the danger.

Town came back and when James Firth fouled Craig Hogg near the corner of the Thackley penalty area, the free kick was played to Cook whose shot lacked power and was easily taken by Convey.

Wilberforce did well to hold on to an effort from the edge of the 18-yard box by Ben Hardy and Lee Wright made a telling interception to send Allanson on his way but the midfielder put in a centre that was too long.

After a slow start Town started to string their passes together and when Greening received the ball he went past Matt Morgan on the right before Firth stopped him with a good tackle then Hogg gained a corner after a difficult bounce delayed his attempt at a first time cross. James Bennett fired a left foot shot well wide following the flag kick.

The Seasiders were finishing the first half strongly and Danny Brunton was the next to have an effort taken by Convey when he was involved in a neat move with Fleming and Greening. After Fleming had played the ball forward from just outside of the penalty area, Hogg put it first time into the middle from the by-line, but there were no takers.

Bridlington had edged the first half but the visiting defence had shown resilience to keep them at bay.

Thackley pressed from the restart but they almost went behind when goalkeeper Matt Convey fumbled a shot from Allanson then recovered enough to collect the ball, as it appeared to be bouncing over him.

Wayne Aziz won the ball in a tackle on Hardy who later attempted a low shot from 25 yards that Wilberforce took with ease. Then the ‘keeper was equal to an effort from Davey after Callum White had set him up with a good chance.

Tiani went past two Bridlington defenders before unleashing a shot that again brought the best out of Wilberforce.

On 66 minutes Fleming was cautioned after a foul on Davey and four minutes later White followed him into the referee’s book for showing dissent when Palmer stayed down injured after making a clearance.

Following substitutions by both managers one of Thackley’s replacements, Paul Whiteley, ran at the Town defence then released White who was halted by a good tackle from Aziz. The defender then made another good tackle to concede a corner and got injured in the process.

At this point Thackley looked the more likely of the two sides to be able to get a goal and Tiani should have done better when he blazed over from a corner.

In an isolated attack Hogg attempted a shot from the right and although Convey caught the ball it was deemed to have already crossed the line for a goal kick.

Town were awarded a free kick when Matt Morgan made a late tackle on Bennett on the right and from Cook’s kick Convey palmed the ball away and when it was sent back in there were loud, vain appeals for handball.

Following two more Bridlington substitutions Whiteley made ground before being stopped by a Brunton tackle and Hardy got past Aziz and Cook but put his shot over the bar.

In the closing minutes the home side finished the stronger and Ged Dalton had a shot blocked while Robbie Hawkes’ attempt was deflected for a corner with Billy Logan closing in to try and take advantage.

Aziz went close with his header from the corner but missed the target and Town had to settle for a share of the spoils.