Goal-shy Town beaten by nine-man Pickering

Bridlington Town v Pickering Town
Bridlington Town v Pickering Town

The drought goes on for Bridlington Town as they failed to register either goals or points for the third consecutive game despite hitting the woodwork and testing visiting goalkeeper Peter Lawrie on several occasions.

As expected, it was a tense encounter that saw a spate of cards brandished by referee Andy Dunne during the second half and Pickering could feel harshly dealt with by being reduced to nine players for the closing stages.

Sam Calvert celebrates his goal

Sam Calvert celebrates his goal

The Seasiders’ were without Ash Allanson, who has joined Lewis Clarkson and Craig Hogg on the injured list, while Anthony Bowsley has left to rejoin Brigg Town.

Pickering were almost gifted an early chance when Josh Heseltine’s back pass to James Hitchcock lacked power but the goalkeeper got to the ball just ahead of Nathan Kamara.

Town hit back with Tom Fleming winning the ball midway in the visitors’ half and seeing Lawrie off his line tried his luck from 25 yards but the goalkeeper got back to tip the ball over the bar.

A neat ball forward gave Will Waudby the chance to get to the byline and from his centre Joel Sutton volleyed against the bar.

Former Bridlington midfielder James Bennett won and took a free kick that Hitchcock pushed round for a corner from which Ged Dalton headed wide at the far post.

With 16 minutes gone Pickering were forced into a change when Denny Ingram pulled up injured and was replaced by George Foster.

The game went from end to end and Matt Turnbull nearly diverted a Benn Lewis effort into his own goal while Hitchcock made another good save, this time from Pickering skipper Joe Danby.

Lawrie had already unconvincingly punched a cross out to Sutton whose return effort had gone just wide and when a second punch from a Sutton cross landed to Fleming he struck it into the net. However, a foul was given against Lewis for challenging Lawrie off the ground as the ball came in.

Ombeni Ruhanduka narrowly missed the target when he took advantage of a hesitant defence and then had an attempt put round for a corner after he had gone past Turnbull and George Bissett.

Three minutes before half time the deadlock was broken when the visitors intercepted the ball in their own half and swept it forward to Sam Calvert who coolly kept his head by going round Hitchcock and holding off Lewis before stroking it in.

With seven minutes of the second half gone Lewis and Calvert were cautioned following an altercation and six minutes later Heseltine was booked for a challenge on Dalton, whose dramatics made it look worse than it was.

Tim Taylor stepped inside Bissett to fire straight at Lawrie and then after a hour he was substituted along with Lewis, in favour of Conner Harman and James Whittingham, while Pickering brought on Callum Ward for goalscorer Calvert.

The Pikes were close to increasing the lead but Bennett’s free kick from just outside the area hit the bar and went over to safety.

With 20 minutes remaining Pickering were reduced in numbers when Nathan Kamara, who had been booked at the end of the first half, was shown a straight red for deliberately barging into Whittingham.

The Seasiders’ pushed forward determined to make the extra man count but despite efforts from Fleming, Sutton and Ryan Nicholls they were unable to find an equaliser.

In a frantic final five minutes all three Pickering substitutes were cautioned with Foster being unluckily shown a second yellow card within minutes of his first for an innocuous offence.