First points for the Seasiders

Bridlington's Tom Lee v Tadcaster
Bridlington's Tom Lee v Tadcaster

Glasshoughton Welfare 0

Bridlington Town 1

NCEL Premier Division

BRIDLINGTON Town got their league season up and running with a 1-0 victory at last year’s Division One runners-up Glasshoughton Welfare on Tuesday.

The margin of the win could, and should, have been more as, after a slow start, Town became the more dominant side in the first period.

But all they had to show at full time was Craig Hogg’s first-half free kick.

However the result got the Seasiders’ first points on the board after a disappointing 2-1 opening day defeat at home to Tadcaster Albion.

On Tuesday, an early free kick gave the hosts a sight of goal but Mark Truman was well wide with his effort.

Tom Lee set Craig Hogg up with a chance but goalkeeper Tom Draper was quick off his line to block.

The only goal of the game came after 19 minutes. A passing movet between Tom Richardson, Hogg and Scott Phillips ended with Phillips being brought down just outside the penalty area.

Hogg stepped up to curl the free kick out of Draper’s reach and into the top right hand corner of the net.

Four minutes later Hogg should have doubled his tally when Josh Greening, seemingly in on goal, was brought down as a desperate defence tried to recover. Hogg went for power but put his effort too close to Draper and the goalkeeper diverted the ball over the bar.

Liam Radford was involved in most of Glasshoughton’s moves but after weaving his way inside shot over the bar and later had 20-yard effort blocked when the ball was touched back to him.

Hogg got into the area and was robbed by a timely tackle from home skipper Chris Hitchins who also put a stop to Phillips run into the danger zone after he had intercepted the ball on the halfway line.

Town created three more chances but Greening put his attempt wide of the far post, Hogg had a shot well caught by Draper and Eddie Cass put a long-range effort over the top.

The Welfare brought on Liam Tuck for Mark Truman as the second half got under way but Town continued to press with Greening first being caught offside and then putting a diving header wide when he had more time than he thought to bring the ball under control. Greening then got through on the left of the area and as Draper came out to narrow the angle the striker put the ball past him only for John Cullen to get back and clear the ball as it was about to cross the line.

Hitchins gave the ball away to Hogg then brought him down with Hogg hitting the resultant free kick to high.

Glasshoughton tried to get back into the game by pushing Hitchins forward and Tom Lee cleared an inswinging free kick from the right. Darrell Young was robbed deep in the Town half by Alex Rhodes and was booked for tripping Rhodes as he brought the ball away. The closest the Welfare came was when Wayne Aziz deflected a cross from Andrew Fieldhouse on to the post.

Draper just managed to catch an effort from Phillips when it bounced up and appeared to be going over him and then he came out to gather from Hogg who had gone past Alex Wilson with ease.

There were four bookings in the last 20 minutes, two to each side, but it was a clean game that saw Glasshoughton come more into it in the final quarter. However, after losing their management team to Ossett Town in the summer and the majority of their promotion side leaving, on this evidence they could be in for a long hard winter and ex-Selby Town manager Graham Hodder will have his work cut out if they want to put in a challenge for honours this season.

Glasshoughton Welfare: Draper, Beeston, Cullen, Truman (Tuck 46), Chappell, Hitchins (c), Weatherald (Cressey 65), Wilson, Young, Radford, Fieldhouse.

Unused substitutes: Shaw, Swales, Marshall.

Bridlington Town: Wilberforce, Aziz, Rhodes, Lee, Cass, Cook, Richardson (Gunn 83), Fleming (c), Hogg, Phillips, Greening.

Unused substitutes: Clough, Wray, Fraser (Gk).

Attendance: 80

Billy Logan is back from holiday and along with Luke Wheeldon will be added to the squad for Saturday’s F.A. Cup encounter with Whitley Bay.