Fifth win in a row for Town

Albion Sports 1 Bridlington Town 2
Albion Sports 1 Bridlington Town 2

In their first away game since losing narrowly at Pickering Town six weeks ago, Bridlington Town made it five wins out of five, four of them in league games, with a 2-1 victory against Albion Sports on Wednesday.

Town’s players fought hard and played with discipline against a more experienced Albion side and deserved the three points that moved them nearer a top five place.

After scoring his first Town goal on Saturday, Lewis Poucher made his full debut, Chris Jenkinson returned in defence and Will Waudby also started.

A run into the opposing box by Chris Adams ended when his ball in towards Poucher was cleared then Jenkinson almost gifted Albion with a goal with a poor pass that was seized on by leading scorer Danny Facey but James Hitchcock was alert to the situation and came out to block Facey’s effort.

On the quarter-of-a-hour mark Town took the lead when Adams started a neat move on the right flank and as the ball was worked into the penalty area two attempts were blocked before it fell for Conner Harman to lash it past goalkeeper Aaron Brian.

Albion went close by hitting the woodwork and just under 10 minutes after the opening goal they drew level in controversial circumstances.

Following some play on the right touchline when the ball was just kept in, it was eventually played forward to Alex Cusack who appeared to be standing a good two yards offside. With the assistant referee behind play, Cusack was allowed to go on and fire the ball across Hitchcock into the far corner of the net.

As usual Tom Fleming was influential in Town’s play and had a shot well saved by Brian after an Adams free kick had been charged down. Brian then thwarted the visiting captain twice more by collecting a low 20-yard effort and coming off his line to get in a timely block to halt Fleming’s run into the area.

At the other end Hitchcock kept the scores level at half time by stopping Aran Basi’s point blank header from a corner.

Five minutes into the second half Alex Knaggs halted an Albion attack and played the ball forward for Fleming to run down the left before putting in a low cross that Brian failed to take cleanly at the near post and Adams pounced to put his side back in front.

Harman blotted his copybook by picking up an unnecessary caution for dissent then Brian redeemed himself by catching a header from Fleming.

Craig Hogg replaced Poucher and was soon in the action by having a shot saved and then delayed another effort allowing Brian to concede a corner while Town’s second substitute Jarrod Smalley also had an attempt deflected behind.

The Seasiders’ have conceded some late goals recently but kept their concentration and composure to see out the game and as the clock ticked down Ash Allanson made a cameo appearance after his lay-off through injury.

Albion substitute Ferdinand Annur was cautioned right at the end for angrily throwing the ball down when a decision went against him.

This was a really good performance by Town after Saturday’s poor game and all the team played their part right through the game and Albion were limited to just three attempts on target against seven for their visitors.

On Monday Town will find out who their opponents are in the East Riding Senior Cup semi-finals when the draw is made live on BBC Radio Humberside’s Sports Talk at around 6:45pm.

The other three teams in the hat are Hull City, Hull United and Westella VIP. The ties will be played at the Roy West Centre, Inglemire Lane in Hull on Tuesday 24 and Thursday 26 March depending on the order of the draw and both will kick off at 7pm.