Eyres double gives Sports Club the points

Bridlington Sports Club 2 North Cave 1
Bridlington Sports Club 2 North Cave 1

Sports Club continued their solid start to the new year with a much-needed victory over sixth-placed North Cave.

They started strongly with Bemrose and McEwan controlling the middle of the pitch, although the home side couldn’t create any clear cut chances in the early stages of the game.

The breakthrough came on 15 minutes with the first real chance of the game when some good play by Webb resulted in a half chance that the keeper saved well but he could only parry across the box for Eyres to side foot home from 12 yards.

Minutes later Eyres had the chance to double his lead when a good crossfield pass from Dixon left him one-on-one but the angle was too tight and his strike hit the side netting.

The away side grew into the game and increased the pressure in Sports Club’s final third, however the home side kept their shape well and restricted the visitors to long range shots which failed to trouble Mallen in goal.

The defence of Bogle, Barber, Wood and Gregory were holding strong until Wood played a short back pass allowing the North Cave striker to run clear and finish neatly.

The vistirs were confident in the final stages of the half but a dangerous breakaway was halted by Gregory who brought down the attacker for a yellow card.

Sports Club started the second half confidently and started to keep the ball well with some good link up play between Dixon, Webb, Robinson and Eyres increasing the home team’s possession.

They increased the tempo and communication from the first half, increasing the pressure on their opponents’ goal. A good strike by Robinson was tipped over the bar and soon afterwards, he found himself through only goal only for his shot to rebound high into the air for Eyres to dive and head in at the back post for his second of the game.

Eyres could have completed his hat-trick after an excellent run from Barber played in Dixon whose cross was hit first time on to the bar.

Just after the hour Wallace replaced Robinson who had a chance to score when through on goal but the keeper made a strong save to keep the visitors in the game.

Dixon received a harsh caution for a sliding tackle after a speedy recovery run saw him catch the North Cave winger and hook the ball out of play.

Jackson replaced Bogle and quickly fitted into the back four linking up well with Webb and McEwan to retain possession as the game came to a close.

North Cave attempted to apply pressure in the final moments of the match but Sports Club remained calm and some strong blocks and tackles from Bemrose and Gregory prevented any clear chances to see the game out for a well deserved three points.

Man of the match: Anthony Dixon