Duka nets wonder goal in Town draw

Garforth Town 1 Bridlington Town 1
Garforth Town 1 Bridlington Town 1

On Tuesday Town travelled to Garforth to play a fixture that had been reversed and, with the next two home games being postponed for different reasons, they will not feature at Queensgate again until near the end of the month when Heanor Town are the visitors.

Gary Allanson made one change to the starting eleven with Tyler Collishaw replacing ineffective Tom Chippendale and Town controlled the early stages. Garforth, however, came more into the game after Ombeni Ruhanduka had given the visitors the lead.

The game started with Glen Wood lucky to escape punishment after going in two-footed on Ash Allanson, especially in light of the three yellow cards issued to Bridlington players later in the game.

As the Seasiders pressed Chris Simpkins had to clear his lines after goalkeeper Ben Hunter fumbled a centre, then Tom Fleming was inches from giving his side the lead with a ground shot from twenty-five yards.

The visitors went ahead after 21 minutes when Ruhanduka received the ball following a throw-in on the left and hit a speculative strike from 25 yards that went over Hunter into the net.

Garforth hit back and James Hitchcock saved a long-range Wood free kick then Chris Jenkinson cleared after the dangerous Tawanda Rupere broke down the right and Luke Mangham struck his effort wide.

Eight minutes before half time the hosts drew level when Nick Black got beyond James Whittingham and into the area before firing past Hitchcock.

Garforth were quick on the break and finished the half the stronger while right on the whistle Fleming was booked for retaliation after being blatantly pushed off the ball with no free kick being given either way. On the restart Benn Lewis sent a header just past a post and after supporting his attack did well to recover to take the ball off Mangham just inside the Bridlington half.

Town’s passes were going astray putting pressure on themselves and Jenkinson became the second player to be booked for dragging down Mangham.

The Seasiders made a double substitution and showed more spirit but it was Garforth who should have taken the lead when Rupere crossed to the far post where Black inexplicably drove over the bar.

Another Lewis header was cleared off the line by Garforth skipper Andy Hawksworth then the Bridlington player had a cross tipped away by Hunter who also saved Jamie Reeson’s effort.

With time added on being played Ruhanduka was shown a yellow card for a challenge on Hunter.

The bookings for Fleming and Jenkinson meant that they have each collected five and will miss the game away to Liversedge in two weeks time.