Double joy for Town on travels

Tom Fleming in action in Saturday's win at Retford.
Tom Fleming in action in Saturday's win at Retford.

BRIDLINGTON won their second away game in four days, with a 5-1 victory at Nostell Miners Welfare on Tuesday.

In the end it was emphatic for the Seasiders but after being second best for the opening half-hour Nostell were clawing their way back into the game when they were reduced to 10 men just before half-time.

Mitch Cook named an unchanged starting 11 but Chris Batchelor, making his first appearance, Tom Lee and Paul Fraser were added to the substitutes’ bench with Darren Rookes missing out.

The breakthrough came after nine minutes when Josh Greening headed against the woodwork and with the home defence in disarray, Carl Stewart followed up to volley home.

Two minutes later the score had been doubled. Nostell were defending high up the pitch and a ball over the top by Nathan Cook found Stewart in the clear and from his cross Craig Hogg registered his fifth league goal of the season.

The visitors tried the same formula as Cook to put Stewart in on the left but this time his shot was well saved by Gavin Ansley.

Nostell looked to get back into the game with Graham Marchant being played through but Eddie Cass was quick to get back and alleviate the threat. Nostell countered following a Bridlington corner and this time Jenkinson, wearing a bandage on a head wound sustained earlier, tidied up.

The Welfare were quick going forward and from a corner a header by Marchant was helped over the bar by Wilberforce before Stewart intercepted a poor Nostell clearance only for his pass to find Hogg in an offside position.

Three minutes before the break Nostell got the goal they had been threatening, from a break down the left, when James Eyles turned in O’Gara’s cross.

Their joy became despair within a couple of minutes with Franck Zalo being harshly shown a red card for a lunge on Wayne Aziz.

Robert Tonks brought a halt to Town’s first raid of the second half but as the difference in numbers began to tell a Billy Logan effort from a corner was only cleared to Jenkinson who saw his shot deflected behind.

Keepr Ansley dealt confidently with a low cross from Hogg, as Cook closed in, but was helpless in the 57th minute when Hogg stepped over Fleming’s pass leaving the way open for Greening to score.

Eight minutes later Hogg volleyed in number four when the ball flicked off a defender into his path and not long after Rushton deflected a ball from Greening towards his own goal that Ansley just managed to recover.

Rushton saw his header from a corner go just past the angle of post and crossbar but then a ball in to Greening left him with only Ansley to beat to round off the scoring.

Before the end Logan volleyed a Greening corner just wide and although Town weren’t as fluent as against Retford they had at least converted more of their chances.

Bridlington Town: Wilberforce, Aziz, Cass, Allanson (Richardson 66), Jenkinson, Cook (Lee 66), Logan, Fleming (c), Hogg, Stewart (Batchelor 56), Greening.

Unused substitutes: Jones, Fraser (Gk)

Attendance: 50

West BS Man of the Match: Tom Fleming

Manager Mitch Cook said: “We went two up and if anything it was too easy because we sat off a bit.

“We got stung into action after their goal and the sending off but in the second half it was one-way traffic.

THIS Saturday Arnold Town come to the Neil Hudgell Solicitors Stadium for the start of what is a five-match home sequence for Bridlington Town.

This is followed on Tuesday by a rearranged derby game against Pickering Town and with no game next Saturday because of FA Vase matches, Town are at home again on Tuesday week to Brighouse Town and hope to avenge the defeat at the Dual Seal Stadium on Bank Holiday Monday.

Staveley arrive on September 22 and Heanor Town on September 25.