Defeat hands league title to Farsley

Winterton Rangers 2

Bridlington Town 0

Winterton started in a positive mood with Ben Saynor dropping onto a low cross from captain James O’Neill and both Dave Kemp and Lee Wright making clearances.

At the other end Shaun Nesbitt upended Gareth Owen and the free kick from James Bennett was headed clear by Robert Sanderson.

After thirteen minutes the visitors suffered a blow when Tom Fleming, who appeared to be struggling with his knee injury, was substituted for Aaron Allanson.

A good cross from Kemp was held by home goalkeeper Jack Ward then the Town defender got in ahead of Liam Wilkin after Liam Nelthorpe had made progress down the right wing before putting the ball into the middle.

Following a clash, Sheffield referee David Benton insisted that Sanderson came off for treatment and to change his bloodied shirt. The home skipper was cautioned for voicing his opinion.

Nether goalkeeper was being troubled as most attempts at goal were being sent off target while Craig Hogg was pulled up for offside in a central position after Tom Lee had tried to play him in. Ward then thwarted Hogg by blocking his close range effort from Owen’s centre at the expense of a corner from which Rob Eeles headed wide.

Town enjoyed the majority of the possession and were moving the ball around but all too often their approach play was ruined in the final third of the field with some wayward final passes.

Lee went into the referee’s notebook after 42 minutes for dissent when he was penalised for shirt pulling.

Owen had a chance to open the scoring only to shoot weakly at Ward and there was a scare at each end before the half time whistle blew.

First Nesbitt sent in a long throw that Eeles only managed to head against his own post with Lee booting the ball clear before any Winterton players could react; then Bennett saw his effort hit the base of Ward’s right hand post with the ‘keeper beaten and the ball rolled along the goal line as time appeared to stand still, only for Ward to recover enough to collect it against the other post.

On the resumption, Jack Cross broke on the right and sent the ball into Nelthorpe from whose header Saynor went down to save.

Owen played a cross field ball to Rhodes who gained a corner that Ward caught and following a move involving Aaron Allanson, Bennett and Lee, a through ball for Owen went straight to Ward. Another good move ended with the final pass again going astray.

A ball into the Bridlington penalty area was smartly collected by Saynor at the feet of Cross with there being no margin for an error of judgement. Town then had to swap Ash Allanson for his brother, as the latter appeared to have an ankle problem.

Lee lost the ball to Nelthorpe who broke from the halfway line before Wright stopped him with a covering tackle. The ball was lost again this time to Cross who made ground, despite the attention of Rhodes, before unleashing a shot that Saynor tipped over. Two minutes later Cross saw his effort come back off the woodwork then Danny Barlow drove wide with Saynor scrambling.

After seventy minutes the deadlock was broken. A poor throw out by Saynor was collected 25 yards out by Severn who sent in a fierce shot that Saynor parried but despite his efforts he could not prevent it from bouncing over the line. Town had been rattled by the goal and although often having possession gave it away far too easily.

Four minutes after conceding Saynor was well beaten again when substitute Joe Leesley tried his luck from outside of the penalty area and again the woodwork came to the rescue.

Stannard was booked for kicking the ball out of the ground after giving away a throw in and Ash Allanson became the fourth player to see yellow.

With two minutes left Cross hit the bar from a free kick after Leesley had been bundled over and as Leesley attempted to control the rebound his leg was taken by Eeles in trying to kick the ball clear. Winterton’s leading scorer Wilkin converted his fourth spot kick of the season to take his goal tally to thirty three.

Winterton Rangers: Ward, Nesbitt, Severn, Walkden, Sanderson, Stannard, O’Neill (c), Nelthorpe, Wilkin (Gibbon 90), Cross, Barlow (Leesley 72).

Substitutes not used: Robinson, Slack, Finnigan.

Bridlington Town: Saynor, Kemp, Brunton (Rhodes 51), Lee, Eeles, Wright, Lyon, Fleming (c) (Aaron Allanson 13) (Ash Allanson 61), Hogg, Bennett, Owen.

Substitute not used: Harrison, Phillips.

Attendance: 94

West BS Man of the Match: Tom Lee (on his first half performance)

All roads now lead to the Roundwood Sports Complex in Rawmarsh for Saturday’s crucial encounter against Parkgate which is Town’s last away game of the season. The South Yorkshire side now hold a one-point advantage with both teams having three games left, so at the moment the runners-up spot is wide open.