Collishaw double sets Town on their way

Thackley 1 Bridlington Town 3
Thackley 1 Bridlington Town 3

Bridlington Town got back on the winning trail with their third consecutive win on Thackley’s Dennyfield ground to put them within touching distance of the top six.

Thackley had recently signed Sam Cook, Joe Brown and Tom Jones but failed to hit the right notes until they got a late consolation goal from their only effort on target.

In Town’s first attack Tyler Collishaw had the chance of a strike from inside the area but decided to square the ball, which was cleared by Cook.

Town were the better side but Thackley looked dangerous when they got forward and Alex Knaggs headed away a cross from Tom Dugdale.

The game’s first shot on target came from Eddy Birch after 36 minutes, but Hall comfortably saved his low drive from 20 yards.

Thackley were unable to break through a resolute defence in which central defenders Chris Jenkinson and Knaggs gave sterling performances although Paul Whiteley did manage to get his head on a cross from Ryan Farrell but it was way too high.

With the Seasiders’ finishing the half the stronger side it was Collishaw who gave them the lead with two minutes remaining.

Tom Fleming’s pass put Jarrod Smalley in behind the defence and from his accurate centre, Collishaw headed home.

The Seasiders started the second period well and following an early corner an effort from Fleming was blocked with Smalley stabbing the loose ball just wide.

With 53 minutes gone the hosts replaced Nathan Woodhead with Aohden Brownlee and within a minute Farrell directed Brownlee’s free kick from the left into the side netting on the far side.

Two minutes later Town doubled the lead. Collishaw was brought down 25 yards out on the right and Birch rose to head in Ash Allanson’s free kick at the far post as the Thackley defence went to sleep.

The midfielder almost snatched another following a move involving Allanson and Collishaw but Hall got down to save his low effort.

Thackley threatened when Farrell’s run took him into the area and as James Hitchcock came to narrow the angle Farrell got the ball past him but Knaggs was again in the right position to head clear.

Benn Lewis was cautioned for pulling back Brownlee and from the resultant free kick the slightest touch from a Thackley player would have produced a goal but the ball went safely out for a goal kick.

With less than 10 minutes left, sub Craig Hogg got free on the right and his ball in to Collishaw left him with only Hall to beat and he made no mistake in notching his second of the game.

The arrears were reduced after 87 minutes when a diagonal ball went over Shaun Day and substitute Matt Dilney looped his header over Hitchcock.

A late chance fell to Jamie Reeson, but Hall blocked the initial effort and Reeson followed it up with a wild shot.