Champions end leaders’ unbeaten record

Bridlington Excelsiors v Bridlington Rovers
Bridlington Excelsiors v Bridlington Rovers

Bridlington Rovers surrendered their unbeaten run this season to Bridlington Excelsiors in a top-of-the-table clash.

Excelsior started in a determined fashion, knowing that they needed to take maximum points to keep alive their title hopes, and didn’t disappoint getting players forward and testing Booth in Rovers’ goal early on.

The visitors also felt they started well, but fell behind after 10 minutes. Continued pressure resulted in Excelsiors being awarded a free kick outside the penalty area, and Danny Baker smashed the ball into the net, giving Booth no chance at all.

Rovers reacted brilliantly with Jones striking the ball at the home team’s goal making keeper Ian Pearson make a superb save to keep it out.

With play swinging from end to end, both keepers were kept busy, and Pearson made two more excellent saves.

Rovers were playing well creating chances but Excelsior stayed solid and then delivered a sucker punch with a good break on the left flank.

Winger Chapman crossed to the far post, the ball hit Metcalf and ended up in the net and with Rovers claiming handball, the referee awarded the goal.

Rovers came off at half time a little shocked to be 2-0 down after playing well but knew a tough second half was ahead.

Excelsiors started the second half well competing all over the pitch with no nonsense defending giving Rovers no encouragement, and Anderson went close after beating several players.

It was no surprise when they extended the lead. Winning the ball on the edge of the Rovers box with the keeper off his line, the ball was lobbed into the empty net by Ricki Scott-Cook to complete the scoring.

Rovers man of the match: Aiden Jones

Excelsior manager’s comment: “I thought we were the better side over the 90 minutes and deserved to take the three points.

“Ian Pearson kept us in the game at a critical moment but the rest of the lads were superb and battled all the way.”

Rovers’ manager’s comment: “Disappointed. We played OK in the first half but never got going in the second. We have a good team spirit so won’t let it affect us too much.”

Elsewhere in the Premier Division, Stirling Wanderers beat Flamborough 1sts 3-2 and in Division One, Forester Athletic 2nds lost 4-2 at home to North Frodingham.