Bristow treble keeps Bridlington Rovers on top

Bailey Alves netted for Bridlington Rovers in their 5-2 home win against Holme Rovers Reserves
Bailey Alves netted for Bridlington Rovers in their 5-2 home win against Holme Rovers Reserves

Bridlington Rovers stretched their lead at the top of the East Riding County League Division Two table to four points thanks to a 5-2 win against Holme Rovers Reserves.

Nathan Bristow led the way with a hat-trick for the home side, while Bailey Alves and Joel Rollinson also notched a goal apiece for the league leaders.

On Saturday, Rovers play host to second-placed Hessle Rangers Reserves, who lost ground on the Brid side last weekend after their 1-1 draw at third-placed Hedon Rangers 3rds.

Lodge slipped to a 7-3 home loss to Driffield Evening Institute Reserves.

Lodge make the trip to Skirlaugh on Saturday afternoon.

Telegraph suffered a 2-0 home defeat against Chaos United in the League Junior Cup.

This weekend, Telegraph head to Gilberdyke Phoenix.

Flamborough conceded their Division Five match at Orchard Park, and the villagers are set to entertain Cottingham Forest this Saturday.

In the League Senior Cup, Bridlington Town County played their first home game of the season when they lost out 1-0 against Premier Division St George’s.

Town County joint manager Kev Grantham said: “The thoughts of all of the County players and coaches go out to Josh Morrit, who, after coming on as a sub in the second half, suffered a horrific knee injury.

“In the dying minutes of the game Josh dislocated his knee and it was clear that he was in serious discomfort on the pitch after popping his kneecap back into the correct position.

“It is hoped that the injury will not keep Josh out the game for too long. We all wish you a speedy recovery.”

Clear-cut chances were presented to both Tom Goddard and Jay Wallace, however neither chance was on target.

Opportunities were being presented to St George’s but the home goalkeeper Steve Janney was having another good game and was commanding his area well and the only threat that it appeared that St George’s had was a little striker who was full of pace, causing both centre-backs Lewis Shaw and Tome Gregory a few problems.

After the break the home side peppered the St George’s goal but many of the shots continued to be off target.

Then against the run of play and after a defensive mix up the visiting number 10 popped up in the area and managed to place the ball beyond Janney to give the away team a 1-0 lead with 15 minutes left.

Changes were made and for the remainder of the game the young Seasiders took the game by the scruff of the neck, with the best chance of the match coming to Wallace in the dying minutes of the game.

When played through onto goal and with only the keeper to beat Wallace got his angles wrong and went high and wide in a shot that summed up the manner in how the game was played by the Seasiders in what can only be described as their poorest performance in the last two months.

While the Seasiders lost out 1-0 to a team that plays in a division higher, the hosts will be satisfied knowing that they can mix it with the teams in the upper echelons and while the team may be out the cup it now means that the County team can focus on trying to maintain their 100% winning start to their league campaign.

This Saturday sees the Seasiders make the short journey to Brandesburton in the East Riding FA Senior Country Cup, and the team will have to be more clinical in front of goal if they are to stand any chance of winning against another very good team.