BRIDLINGTON TOWN: Two points dropped in midweek

Liversedge 1

Bridlington Town 1

IT IS debatable whether this game should have been allowed to finish.

The fog got progressively worse during the second half and in the last 20 minutes the few spectators that were in attendance found it difficult to see what was happening over 50 yards away. Both of the referee’s assistants had to enter the field of play by up to 10 yards to see the action on the opposite side of the pitch.

After an indifferent first half, the chances that went begging were almost in double figures. The main culprit was in-form Scott Phillips who simply had one of those nights when nothing went right after scoring 12 times in his previous nine games.

The only upside was that Town at last managed to find the net from a spot-kick after missing three in their last two games.

Liversedge were relying on the height of Danny Toronczak and the speed of Gibril Bojang as they sought an early goal.

Josh Greening put a header straight at goalkeeper Ryan Blythe then had a run stopped in the penalty area with a timely tackle from Curtis McMahon.

Seven minutes before the break Phillips as cautioned for persistent foul play and, on a topical note of the night, Liversedge were awarded a free kick although a player from each side had gone in with a high foot. Good defending by Wayne Aziz averted the danger from the kick then before the half time whistle he made a saving tackle when a lucky bounce put Bojang through.

Seven minutes into the second half Greening made his way past three dubious tackles and played the ball to Phillips in the penalty area where Joe Hitch brought him down. Batchelor assumed the role of penalty taker and drove his kick down the centre past Blythe.

Town had improved after the break but Phillips missed a good chance and Cook shot wide from eighteen yards.

Just before the hour Wilberforce spilled the ball from a corner kick and Toronczak swept it home.

Brid hit back and Phillips won the ball to get through and went past Blythe only for Hitch to manage to squeeze the ball out for a corner. Phillips then missed another opportunity by firing over the bar and also brought a good save out of Blythe with a header from a free kick.

Chances were not taken and when Logan sprung the offside trap Cook, who was offside, got to the ball first and the chance was gone.

Town: Wilberforce, Aziz, Lee, Ash Allanson (Logan 78), Jenkinson, Cook, Belt, Fleming (c), Phillips (Hogg 66), Batchelor, Greening.

Unused subs: Aaron Allanson, Fraser

Attendance: 42

Man of the match: Wayne Aziz.