Bridlington Town stage remarkable comeback

Parkgate 3 Bridlington Town 4
Parkgate 3 Bridlington Town 4

After a five-week lay-off from league action Bridlington Town staged a remarkable comeback to win the game at Parkgate after trailing by three goals 38 minutes into the game.

Town pulled one back just before half-time and a rare goal from Wayne Aziz sealed the points 12 minutes from the end.

The Seasiders started positively when Frank Belt found Craig Palmer on the edge of the area but David Reay in the home goal was quickly out to block the attempt.

Parkgate began to edge their way into the game with Graham and Scott Whittington causing problems with their speed and sharpness and it was those two who combined to give Parkgate an 18th minute lead.

Graham sped past Dean Craig and cut in to fire through Dobson from a narrow angle to present Whittington with a simple chance at the far post.

Belt found the side-netting from a Bennett corner but Town were being pulled all over the place and after 27 minutes they fell two behind.

Dobson raced from his goal trying in vain to stop Graham getting a cross in from the right, forcing Joel Ramm to head it behind for a corner.

Although Dobson got a touch on the flag-kick he was unable to prevent Piers Bond from heading in for a second sucker punch.

Parkgate thought they had a third 10 minutes before the break when Whittington headed in from a free kick, given away by Ramm that earned him a booking, only for an offside flag to cancel it out.

Three minutes later, however, Aziz conceded a free kick just inside his own half and Reece Wesley rose unchallenged to head the ball in from 12 yards.

As the break approached Town gained some salvation by getting a goal back when Joel Sutton was sent scampering down the right flank and his cross to the far post was headed in by Belt.

Within two minutes of the restart, Sutton reduced the arrears further with a strike from the edge of the penalty area that settled in the bottom corner.

Just past the hour mark the scores were level. Sutton chased a ball into the area where he was tripped by Scott Lowe who was booked for his protestations. Sutton struck the spot-kick past Reay’s right hand into the corner of the net for his 25th goal of the season.

With the Seasiders’ in the ascendancy and looking the likelier winners, Rikki Paylor was cautioned for a late challenge and Danny Abdulla followed him into the book for unfairly stopping Palmer as he attempted to break from the halfway line.

The visitors sealed an outstanding fight back in the 78th minute when Belt drove in a corner kick at pace and Aziz met it with his head to send it flying into the net.

Both sides had chances near the end with Palmer volleying over after a Belt free kick was charged down and Parkgate substitute George Morley finished off a good move by also firing too high.