Bridlington Town pegged back by Liversedge

Bridlington Town 2013/14
Bridlington Town 2013/14

On the night the funfair opened in Bridlington, Town took their supporters on a white-knuckle ride as they drew 3-3 with Liversedge.

Unfortunately for Liversedge, the start of their evening was just like one of the rollercoasters - it started slowly and went downhill fast, before they picked up the pace again at the finish.

The home side took the lead on seven minutes. Ash Allanson slipped a quick free kick to Craig Hogg and the striker slid to fire a low shot across Jamie Abbott and into the far corner of the net.

Another crafty free kick almost brought a second three minutes later. Allanson stepped over the ball, Frank Belt shaped to shoot, but instead passed to James Bennett, who curled a shot narrowly wide.

The wait to double the advantage did not take long. On 14 minutes, Scott Phillips played a neatly disguised flick to Hogg and he unselfishly squared the ball for Joel ramm to tap home his first goal for the Seasiders.

Liversedge perked up and Warrick Charlton and Ben Grech-Brooksbank sent shots over the bar, then Fraser made a smart block with his feet to deny the midfielder, and his defenders scrambled the ball to safety.

Town showed plenty of neat football in and around the box, but missed chances to add to their tally. Abbott flew to his left to deny Phillips’ precision effort and from the resulting corner, Chris Jenkinson’s downward header was hacked off the line.

After the break, the wastefulness in front of goal continued. Phillips showed a neat turn and fed Hogg but Abbott stuck out a foot to deny him.

Liversedge fired a warning shot when Gibril Bojang tried his own quick free kick from 25 yards but sent it the wrong side of the post.

On the hour mark, the game changed. Firstly, three players in lightblue shirts found themselves bearing down on Fraser’s goal and Charlton had the simple task of netting. And within 60 seconds, Grech-Brooksbank hammered a sensation half volley from 25 yards to equalise.

Bennett hit the side netting from 12 yards, and almost immediately, a long ball over the top from Allanson tempted Abbott out of his penalty area, but Hogg beat him to the ball easily and side-footed home from 25 yards.

Hogg returned the favour, but the linesman’s flag denied Allanson’s strike, and then Billy Grogan hooked a shot high and wide from inside the box.

Grech-Brooksbank tried his luck from distance again, but his only reward was an innocuous-looking injury, which forced him off the field for several minutes.

Liversedge threatened again and Bradley Riley tricked his way past three challenges and got into the Town box, but his shot was deflected over the bar, and sub Jossimar Bradshaw snatched a shot wide from the corner.

But on 86 minutes it was all square again. Liversedge carved Town’s defence open with one pass, Charlton rounded Fraser but was forced wide, however he scooped a cross which Bojang nodded in from a matter of feet.

Liversedge ended with 10 men after Grech-Brooksbank’s injury flared up again, but the closest Town came to a winner was a Phillips effort which cleared the bar.