Bridlington Town: Home campaign ends with a win

Bridlington Town v Long Eaton
Bridlington Town v Long Eaton


Recently appointed former Derby County, Hull City and Notts County player Charlie Palmer was in charge of his third match as manager of Long Eaton United and after winning his opening game he suffered his second consecutive defeat as the curtain fell on the visitor’s season.

Town welcomed back Nathan Cook, Scott Phillips and captain Tom Fleming while Ben Silburn was given his second start in the absence of the injured Aaron Allanson.

Silburn was soon prominent just left of goal when, with two defenders hampering him, he put a left foot effort straight at goalkeeper Scott Miles.

Chris Jenkinson lost the ball in his own area but recovered well to knock it away from the danger area.

Town almost took the lead when Scott Phillips crossed towards goal and Silburn nipped in to get ahead of Miles only to direct his header narrowly wide. Not to be outdone the youngster registered his first goal for the club in the twelfth minute. Josh Greening played Silburn in on goal and he kept his cool to place the ball past Miles.

There was a scare for Town when a misunderstanding between Paul Fraser and Wayne Aziz presented Lynton Francis with an opportunity but he put his effort over the top.

Fleming was operating at left back and made a good interception to take the ball off opposing skipper Shaun Rickford before sending Greening on his way but the visitors scrambled the ball away for a corner.

As Long Eaton pushed forward, a good tackle by Jenkinson thwarted Francis while Michael Armstrong got in a shot that went narrowly past Fraser’s right hand post. The goalkeeper then held an effort from Elliott King.

The hosts had two chances to increase the lead but Miles saved well from Phillips’ close downward header and Craig Hogg, with a sight of goal, ballooned Ash Allanson’s pass over the bar.

United tried to get on equal terms before the break but were unable to penetrate a solid defence with Fraser catching Mark Littlewood’s centre from wide on the right and Hogg heading clear a Danny Gordon curling free kick.

On the restart Miles was replaced by Shaun Cauldwell who was soon in the action, plucking the ball away from Silburn and then blocking with his legs from Hogg. He saved again from Silburn with Phillips putting the loose ball over the bar then, after Danny Chambers was booked for pulling down Phillips, Billy Logan’s free kick took a deflection off the defensive wall and hit a post.

Phillip’s had an attempt from 25 yards held by Cauldwell and, as United hit back, Ash Allanson was booked for dissent after a free kick was conceded. Michael Armstrong, who had just returned after off the field treatment, hit the kick just past the post and into the side netting, although Fraser appeared to have it covered.

A long ball out of defence fell to Hogg who turned to send a half volley too high from 30 yards instead of releasing the ball to Greening in a better position.

Reserve player Levi Fox came on for his debut after 71 minutes in place of the injured Phillips and four minutes later the game was all but safe. Hogg and Greening combined to get into the penalty area where the former was tripped by Chambers and for the second consecutive match Logan fired home from the spot.

Silburn put a left foot volley over the bar before giving way for Rob Eeles then as the game wound down Danny Gordon failed to reduce the arrears when he missed the target and Rickford fell over the ball after Francis had found him in a good position.

Bridlington Town: Fraser, Aziz, Logan, Allanson, Jenkinson, Cook, Silburn (Eeles 85), Fleming (c), Phillips (Fox 71), Hogg, Greening.

Unused substitutes: Belt, Wilberforce (Gk).

Long Eaton United: Miles (Cauldwell 46), Armstrong, Winfield (Hunter 65), Littlewood, Chambers, Robinson, King, Rickford (c), Savage, Francis, Gordon.

Unused substitute: Hancock.

Attendance: 113

Man of the Match: Ben Silburn.