Boss claims some players ‘didn’t fancy it’

Bridlington Town 2 Thackley 2
Bridlington Town 2 Thackley 2

Bridlington Town manager Gary Allanson felt the way his side battled back to earn a point against Thackley showed the progress his side have made in recent weeks.

But he questioned the preparations of some members of his squad who ‘didn’t fancy’ playing in the torrential rain which engulfed Queensgate before and during the game.

Bridlington Town 2 Thackley 2

Bridlington Town 2 Thackley 2

A Tim Taylor goal five minutes from time rescued a point for Town, who hadn’t drawn a match in the league before Saturday.

Allanson said: “The game itself was probably a very good one from a neutral point of view, but from ours, I think our players hadn’t mentally prepared themselves properly.

“We looked at their body language and some didn’t fancy it. We tried to have less time in the warm up and keep them as warm and dry as possible but I think this went against us, too many were feeling sorry for themselves.

“I thought Thackley applied themselves far better than us and adapted to the conditions far better, especially in the first half.

Bridlington Town 2 Thackley 2

Bridlington Town 2 Thackley 2

“We were second best in midfield, so our front three were starved of service and the service they did get enabled the Thackley defence to dominate.

“We had three big players missing for us. When Ryan Nicholls came on in the second half we looked far more solid and organised, we missed Ash Allanson’s quality on the ball and this game was absolutely made for Tom Fleming and he would have taken control and driven us forward.

“Their first goal was another shot from distance and I think this comes from not closing down quickly enough and putting players under pressure. Their second was 15 seconds from our own corner.”

Despite the criticisms, Allanson felt the fact The Seasiders were able to earn a draw proved they are a more determined outfit than earlier in the season.

“The positives were that we came back twice from being behind and salvaged a point, six or seven weeks ago we would have crumbled and lost the game,” he added.

“The second half was far better and we dominated more, especially in midfield and the three substitutions we made all had an impact.

“We could have won it in the last minute as well but their goalkeeper made a fantastic save to deny Andy Norfolk.

“Overall a good point for us under all the circumstances against a very good Thackley side who are in good form themselves.”

Allanson had no complaints about referee Wayne Grunnill’s decision to let the game go-ahead after a late pitch inspection.

He said: “Great credit to the referee and his two assistants. He could have easily called the game off but he had three looks at the pitch and decided that it was playable and there was no danger to the player.

“I totally agreed with him as there were small puddles around the pitch but nothing significant to call them dangerous.

“I think the game itself was officiated in a great manner with common sense and taking the conditions into consideration. Officials do get a lot of stick but I think in this instance all the officials deserve great credit.

“Also a lot of credit to our own ground staff who did a magnificent job to have the pitch in such great condition and to Pete (chairman Pete Smurthwaite) for funding the upkeep of the pitch every season to have it looking so good.

“The only downside was that the dugout was under a foot of water so the subs had to sit in the directors’ box and we got hyperthermia stood outside it.”