Beleaguered Town’s season hits rock bottom

Bridlington Town 0 Basford United 7
Bridlington Town 0 Basford United 7

Bridlington Town’s depressing week reached a new low as a makeshift team were turned over by a hugely impressive Basford.

For their third game in just 100 hours, the Seasiders named a starting 11 made up of a rag-tag collection iof reserves, veterans signed as emergency cover and whichever regular first-teamers were still capable of running.

In contrast, the visitors included an England international and former Premier League midfielder in Lee Hendrie, who lined up alongside his brother Stuart, who was making his debut for the Nottingham side.

And his first game proved to be one to remember as he netted a hat-trick, as did United’s top scorer TJ Nightingale.

The hosts’ unfamiliar side seemed to have settled reasonably well early on and striker Jack Hudson-Bowe fired a shot straight at Scott Miles, and then he just failed to get enough power on a lob to capitalise on a poor clearance from the keeper.

But it soon went downhill for Town. On 13 minutes, Paul Fraser saved from Stuart Hendrie and Nightingale was quickest to the rebound to open the scoring.

Three minutes later, a slack back pass by Joel Ramm fell in between Fraser and Aziz and Hendrie nipped in, rounded the keeper and slotted into an empty net.

To make matters worse, Hudson-Bowe had to go off with a hamstring problem, sending the injury list into double figures.

Chris Jenkinson couldn’t quite get on the end of Ash Allanson’s free kick in a rare home attack, but 10 minutes before the break, Basford added a third.

Town were caught napping by a quick corner and although Fraser tipped an initial effort on to the post at full stretch, Hendrie followed up for his second.

If the hosts thought things had reached rock bottom, there was worse to come as assistant manager Aziz, who had been hampered by a back injury, pulled his hamstring too and is likely to miss the rest of the season.

Hendrie completed his hat-trick after the break, clinically sweeping in from 10 yards, and brother Lee almost added another but Fraser dived to his left to save.

Basford’s fifth arrived on the hour mark and once again it was due to the visitors being quickest to react. Fraser tipped Michael Leslie’s header on to the bar but Sam Craven nodded in the rebound.

The sixth summed up Town’s bad luck. Danny Brunton produced an excellent goal line block to stop Nightingale turning in Ryan Whitehurst’s low cross, but the ball bounced straight back to Nightingale and he tapped home.

The Seasiders then managed to hold out until the 87th minute, when Ramm tripped Willis Francis in the area and Nightingale was left to fight with Hendrie for the match ball when he struck the penalty straight down the middle.

And Town have to do it all again on Saturday, after the luxury of two whole days rest, when they travel to the East Midlands to face Basford in the reverse fixture.