Basement boys beaten by Bridlington Town

editorial image

Lincoln Moorlands Railway 0

Bridlington Town 5

NCEL Premier Division

BRIDLINGTON Town again spurned a host of chances and had it not been against a club in turmoil that at the moment is battling against the odds they would probably have struggled to record their eighth straight win.

Town totally dominated, having at least two thirds of the possession, but they must start to put away the openings they create, especially one-on-one situations with the goalkeeper, of which there were five.

Even the introduction of substitute Harry Potter failed to produce some magic for ailing Lincoln.

Wayne Aziz and Nathan Cook both returned to the starting line-up after injury in place of Billy Logan (unavailable) and Ash Allanson, who was rested but took a place on the substitutes bench alongside the returning Josh Greening and Mike Jones.

From the off the Seasiders’ took control of the game and in the first minute Chris Batchelor fired narrowly over the bar after Craig Hogg had got the ball to him despite the close attention of two defenders.

After Batchelor had been fouled Scott Phillips found the net with a header from the free kick but it was ruled out for offside.

Lincoln goalkeeper Craig Turner was in for a busy afternoon and was soon racing to the edge of his area to head away from Phillips as he chased a pass from Batchelor.

Turner then stopped a Carl Stewart effort and Steven John put the loose ball behind for a corner.

Turner’s resistance was broken after 12 minutes when Phillips made progress down the left before pulling the ball back to the edge of the area where Carl Stewart, Town’s goal wizard, struck his shot past Turner’s right hand.

Hogg wasted an opportunity when he missed the target with only Turner to beat and as the visitors pressed forward they were prone to be caught offside in their eagerness to add to the score.

Phillips headed wide from a centre by Tom Lee before, on the half-hour, Sam Turner struck Lincoln’s first attempt on goal much too high.

Two minutes later his side went further behind when Chris Batchelor received the ball from Fleming just inside his own half, played a one-two with Hogg, then advanced 10 yards before spotting Craig Turner off his line and struck a sublime effort over him into goal.

It continued to be one-way traffic with Town passing the ball around and Turner gathered a low strike from Cook then his defence managed to scramble away Stewart’s ball in from the left.

Turner got a touch from a free header by Stewart and got the rub of the green when a goal kick was given then he came to the rescue again by tipping over Chris Jenkinson’s 35-yard free kick and similarly dealt with a deep cross from Batchelor.

Three minutes before the break a Batchelor corner from the left found its way to Jenkinson on the far side of goal and he played the ball back in where Tom Lee got on the end of it to head home.

Just before the half-time whistle Hogg failed to get the better of Turner in another one-on-one when the goalkeeper managed to push away his attempted chip.

Mitch Cook replaced Eddie Cass and Lee with Greening and Allanson on the restart. Batchelor went to left back and Nathan Cook into central defence.

Lincoln were still conceding control of the game to their opponents who were guilty of not being direct enough in their approach work.

Turner caught a curling side-foot attempt by Greening and just before the hour Matthew Davies got his side’s first shot on target, which Mark Wilberforce dealt with easily.

After 62 minutes Allanson took a free kick from the right flank and Nathan Cook ran round the back of the home defence to head in. Aziz was then withdrawn to rest his injured shoulder and give Mike Jones a run out.

Lincoln started to get more forward but substitute Sam Waywell’s effort missed the target when a square ball to the other substitute John Pinnington, would have found him on his own in front of goal.

With 17 minutes remaining the Railway made their final substitution when they brought on Harry Potter to try and weave a spell to produce something positive but it failed to inspire Bradley Hockin who struck a kicked clearance by Wilberforce well wide from the halfway line with the goal empty.

Eight minutes from time Stewart, who now misses two games, ran on to a forward pass from Phillips to find the bottom corner and complete the scoring.

Lincoln’s final chance came when they had three men forward against only two Bridlington defenders but Potter had flown offside.