Back-to-back wins for the Seasiders

Duka celebrates the opening goal.
Duka celebrates the opening goal.

Bridlington Town put together back-to-back wins for the first time this season, as they followed up their FA Vase victory at Penrith by beating Athersley Recreation on Tuesday night.

After a testing couple of weeks, the Seasiders were buoyed by their 2-1 win in the Lake District at the weekend.

Craig Hogg's free kick made it 2-0.

Craig Hogg's free kick made it 2-0.

And they swept aside Athersley, hitting three goals in a 15-minute spell before half time, to ruin the visitors’ defensive strategy.

Rec had stubbornly kept 10 men behind the ball for the opening half hour, but Bridlington’s patience never wavered, and their possession was rewarded when Ombeni Ruhanduka, who netted twice at Penrith, continued his scoring streak by hitting a 25-yard shot which skiddedpast Shaun Penn and into the far corner.

Four minutes later, Robbie Hawkes was kicked up in the air on the edge of the area, and Craig Hogg flighted the free kick up and over the wall, and then watched it dip into the bottom corner of the net.

Athersley had to at least take the handbrake off the bus they had parked, but Bridlington’s tails were up.

Duka tried his luck from even further out, but Penn safely gathered his attempt, and Ash Allanson and Tom Fleming were both off target from long distance.

In added time at the end of the first half, Allanson made it three, sweeping a right-footed shot beyond Penn and hitting the exact same spot of the net as the first two goals.

Athersley still had time to try to fashion a response, but Jack Briscoe slashed over the bar with the very last kick of the half.

The one-way traffic continued after the break, and Hogg curled a shot wide after a neat turn and then Alex Knaggs galloped forward from full back but headed Will Waudby’s inviting cross over the bar.

Allanson was dictating the game and when he produced a pinpoint 70-yard pass, it looked like Town would create a goal to remember.Sub Joel Sutton cushioned the ball down with his chest, straight into the path of Hogg, but the striker dragged his finish narrowly wide.

Sutton was then provided with a chance of his own, again thanks to the vision of Allanson, but after taking the ball around Penn, Sutton fired over from a difficult angle.

Fellow sub Conner Harman was more accurate on72 minutes, firing a blistering shot into the net from 20 yards.

At 4-0 up, Town allowed themselves to take their foot off the pedal, and they needed keeper James Hitchcock and defender James Whittingham to combine to keep out two efforts in a matter of seconds, while Danny Joynes missed an open goal after a quick Athersley break towards the end.

But this was Town back to their best.

Reaction on page 67