Back from the dead yet again

Hall Road Rangers 2

Bridlington Town 4

ONCE again a stirring second half performance away from home enabled Bridlington Town to come from behind and take all three points.

Trailing 2-0 with about half-an-hour to go the introduction of the returning James Bennett provided the impetus for them to go on and score four times.

Bridlington included new signing Chris Jenkinson in the starting line-up and Bennett, back at the club after his short spell at North Ferriby United, joined the other new boy Lewis Taylor on the bench.

Both goalkeepers were soon in the action with Mark Wilberforce holding a Mark Griffin centre while his opposite number Mike Burley managed to drop on a header from his own central defender Mike Gregory to prevent it crossing the line.

Martin Thacker had already had a sight on goal when Wilberforce turned aside his free kick from the edge of the penalty area but in the 33rd minute, and from a little further out, he managed to get another free kick up and over the wall to beat Wilberforce and find the top corner.

Hall Road had always looked capable of adding to their score while Town had struggled to get shots away although Robbie Hawkes put a low cross from the left just beyond the far post and a Nathan Cook free kick was headed away from inside the six-yard box.

The second half began with the Seasiders struggling and two free kicks given to Hall Road.

Tom Fleming was booked for dissent after one free kick decision in the 53rd minute and his side were immediately punished when Hall Road’s new signing Jamie Atkinson reacted quickest to Wilberforce’s save to force the ball over the line.

The hosts made two substitutions and when Bennett replaced Hawkes Town showed a little more urgency.

After 62 minutes Craig Hogg played the ball to Greening on the right and took the return to put it beyond substitute goalkeeper James Fossdyke even though the custodian got a hand to it.

Two minutes later the scores were level when Greening made ground down the left flank and played the ball through for Nathan Cook to beat Fossdyke at the near post.

Craig Suddaby was brought on for Fleming as a precaution against a second yellow and the former Hall Road man joined Jenkinson and Palmer at the back with Belt and Logan pushing forward.

Hogg was brought down by Atkinson and the free kick from Bennett was cleared following a fumble by Fossdyke then with six minutes remaining Bennett took a corner from the left and Billy Logan sneaked in to head home. Shortly afterwards Logan’s 20-yard left foot drive was tipped over by Fossdyke.

Just before the final whistle James Bennett continued his run after playing the ball to Greening who scooped it over a defender for Bennett to mark his return with the fourth goal.

Town are now just three points behind Retford United and with the leaders not playing for another two weeks a victory at home to Nostell Miners’ Welfare on Saturday will see the Seasiders back at the top.

Town: Wilberforce, Aziz, Logan, Jenkinson, Belt, N. Cook (Danby 84), Hawkes (Bennett 58), Fleming (c) (Suddaby 66), Hogg, Palmer, Greening.

Substitutes not used: Taylor, Fraser

Man of the match: Josh Greening