Another cup exit

Tadcaster Albion 1

Bridlington Town 0

President’s Cup Semi Final

A GOAL after just over a minute of time played in this President’s Cup semi final put paid to Bridlington Town’s last chance of appearing in a cup final this season.

The game had barely started when Alex Rhodes gave away a free kick near the corner flag and although the kick was initially cleared, it only landed to Steve Jeff, 25 yards out, and he promptly hammered it back past Wilberforce into the net.

Town started to push forward with Rhodes having two attempts, as he tried to make amends for his misdemeanour, but only found the hands of Scott Pallister from 30 yards then put another effort narrowly behind from out on the right.

Craig Hogg won the ball just inside the Tadcaster half and made ground before screwing a left foot shot well wide.

Tadcaster were quicker to the ball and when Callum Ward got a break off Wright he found Jeff in a good position with the Town defence stretched but the defender again missed the target.

A Brid corner was taken short to Mark Barber then in to Hogg who juggled the ball to make space before turning to bring a fingertip save from Pallister.

The game was being played between the two penalty areas with few chances being created by either side and when Town had a corner just before the break Lyon wasted the kick by finding the side netting.

On the resumption, Pallister raced out of goal to kick clear from Hogg with Barber trying to catch the ‘keeper out by returning the ball from inside his own half but Pallister recovered enough to gather it.

Stuart Rice wriggled through on the right to send in a centre that was lofted over by Whitehead with his back to goal. Whitehead then came the closest to scoring when he took the ball off Rob Eeles only to see his shot come back off the inside of the post.

Both sides made substitutions in the final quarter of the game but the best chance of a goal came five minutes from the end when Barber missed the ball and Taylor took advantage to break into the penalty area where he was brought down by the back-tracking Rob Eeles. Tom Reid took the spot kick but Wilberforce brought off a good save down by his left hand post.

With the game entering the final minute of normal time, referee Russell Tarbatt from Beverley pulled up with injury and with five minutes of added time to be played he relinquished his duties to Aaron Bannister. Qualified referee Liam Bannister, who was watching the game, took over the flag.

Further chances fell to both sides with Lyon heading over and Barber getting in a good tackle to stop Brandon. Bennett had a free kick headed away by Qualter after Pitts had brought down Rhodes.

Bridlington Town: Wilberforce, Rhodes, Brunton, Barber, Eeles, Wright, Harrison (Owen 75), Lee, Lyon, Bennett, Hogg (Aaron Allanson 75).