Amazing comeback by 10-man Town

Albion Sports 3 Bridlington Town 3
Albion Sports 3 Bridlington Town 3

Exactly a month to the day since the game at Parkgate, Bridlington Town again fought back after trailing by three goals but this time they had to settle for a draw.

Philip Dobson was still feeling the effects of a groin injury and took a place on the bench with Paul Fraser in goal.

Ash Allanson was unavailable and injuries to Frank Belt and Craig Hogg ruled them out enabling Jarrod Smalley and Jamie Reeson to make rare starts.

Albion took the early initiative and leading scorer Danny Facey shot wide from the corner of the goal area then saw his effort from 15 yards tipped over by Fraser. The Seasiders’ retaliated but Reeson could only find the safe hands of goalkeeper Aaron Brian.

Smalley and Reeson combined to get the ball through to Sutton but former Football League journeyman striker Delroy Facey, now operating in central defence, tidied up.

The best chance so far fell to Smalley but with only Brian in his way his finish went straight to the keeper.

Albion’s defence was easily stretched and when Smalley flicked the ball past Asif Hussain to create a clear run on goal the Albion captain body-checked him but escaped any punishment from the referee.

Jamie Reeson was not so lucky after 23 minutes. Karl Hall started a run 35 yards from goal and Reeson tackling back was penalised and Moore showed him a straight red card even though Joel Ramm was possibly in a position to cover.

Eight minutes before half-time Elliott Holmes, out on the right, struck the ball over Fraser and into the far corner of the net. Holmes had initially appeared to come from an offside position to receive the ball.

Four minutes later Dean Craig played safety first and put the ball out for a corner that was headed on by Hall and Delroy Facey converted at the far post. The extra man was beginning to tell and after both Hall and Danny Facey had gone close, the latter poked the ball in on 52 minutes when a free kick from the halfway line was played back into Town’s six-yard box. Wayne Aziz replaced Tom Lee and Ramm started to push forward.

Town got a lifeline after 70 minutes. Dean Craig intercepted the ball and played it up to Smalley who slotted it through to put Ramm clear and with no Albion player covering he was able to shoot past Brian.

Four minutes on Liam Ormsby was cautioned for an off-the-ball incident after the referee had consulted his assistant then four minutes later he was harshly shown a second yellow for not retreating from a quickly taken free kick.

Fraser saved Danny Facey’s attempted scissor kick then on 90 minutes Smalley followed up to score after Ramm’s effort had been saved.

Three minutes into time added on Town were awarded a free kick and with Fraser up with the attack Sutton’s free kick was headed back across goal by Fleming for Rikki Paylor to seize his chance and equalise.