Allanson strikes to put Town into final against familiar foes

Bridlington Town 1 Beverley Town 0
Bridlington Town 1 Beverley Town 0

A well-worked goal scored by Ash Allanson in the 69th minute sent Bridlington Town through to yet another East Riding Senior Cup Final against their nemesis in the competition North Ferriby United.

Paul Fraser took his place on the bench as substitute goalkeeper while Mark Wilberforce joined in the pre-match warm up after being sidelined for over five months with a hand injury.

Frank Belt was ruled out with a knee injury sustained against Thackley.

A poor clearance by Adam Nicholson presented Craig Hogg with the first chance of the game but his shot was blocked then Luke Thompson went on a run for Beverley and, after getting the better of Joel Ramm, he put a weak effort straight to Philip Dobson.

Following a free kick, Jamie Reeson’s attempted chip cleared both Nicholson and the bar and shortly afterwards Nicholson kicked clear from inside his six-yard box. Beverley were giving their opponents no time on the ball forcing them into mistakes and in his eagerness to get the better of the Beverley defence, Hogg was caught offside on five occasions.

When the Seasiders did find a way through Hogg screwed his effort wide and Sutton’s cross shot went beyond the far post.

Beverley were tending to give away free kicks in their own half but from one of their own Danny Norton hit the ball straight at Dobson.

Following a Bridlington corner Nathan White broke with three team-mates in support but took the wrong option of shooting and cleared the bar by a considerable margin.

Tom Fleming played in Sutton who rode two tackles before curling the ball wide. Fleming broke forward again but was unfairly stopped by White who received the first caution of the game.

With just over 20 minutes left the stalemate was broken after Dean Craig had got the ball to Sutton and his pass put Allanson clear on goal, enabling him to strike the ball past Nicholson.

Danny Kingsley broke following a mistake by Chris Jenkinson and Craig had to make a telling tackle to keep Kingsley out.

Fleming was booked for a foul and two minutes later Jenkinson had the ball in the net from a free kick but was ruled offside.

Another break by Sutton took him past two defenders only to see his cross intended for Reeson cut out by


Beverley pushed for the equaliser and Dobson ran out of goal to kick clear while some good defending from Jenkinson kept the goal intact.

The Humber Premier League champions kept going and Nicholson was often nearer the halfway line than his own goal taking a free kick from just inside the Bridlington half that Dobson punched clear.

With three minutes added time indicated Norton put a chance wide and Tom Lee was shown a yellow card for lunging in on Kingsley.

Sutton had a shot parried by Nicholson and right at the end he got clear and looked certain to score only to be thwarted by the final whistle.