Albion win the battle of Bridlington to reach quarter-finals

Josh Heseltine with Jake Day.
Josh Heseltine with Jake Day.
  • Bridlington Town Reserves 1 Albion FC 2
  • First division leaders beat Premier Division opposition
  • Day and Gregory score for Albion, Brown replies for Town.

Albion FC won the battle of Bridlington’s two County League teams, to progress into the quarter finals of the HE Dean Cup.

Two goals in a minute, shortly after half time, knocked the stuffing out of Bridlington Town Reserves, after they had created the better chances before the break.

Albion had beaten Humber Premier League side AFC Rovers on Tuesday night, and again found themselves up against opposition from a higher division.

Town had the first sight of goal on seven minutes, but striker Jack Hudson-Bowe’s lob was just too high and cleared the crossbar.

They were off target again a few minutes later, when a right wing corner fell to Josh Heseltine, who had played for Town’s first team on Tuesday night, but he lashed a shot over.

Albion’s first effort of note came on the half-hour mark, when Nick Tudor saved Jake Day’s header at his near post.

Josh Christlow

Josh Christlow

After Town had enjoyed the better of the early stages, Albion were now the dominant force and Louis Gregory headed Josh Christlow’s free kick over the bar.

Tudor was then called upon again to make a great save at full stretch, low to his left, to deny Day again.

But it was Town who came the closest to opening the scoring when Levi Fox cut inside from the left and saw his shot from 20 yards clip the top of the crossbar.

The second half started with Albion on top and they made it pay with two quick-fire goals.

Billy Tyler challenges Jonny Morritt.

Billy Tyler challenges Jonny Morritt.

When Barry Tye blocked a Billy Tyler shot, Day reacted quickest and nodded into the net.

As Town were still recovering, Tom Gregory was given too much room 25 yards out and curled a tremendous effort around Tudor to double the lead on 52 minutes.

The home side were unable to create much as they tried to get back into the game, and Hudson-Bowe’s spectacular overhead kick which landed straight at keeper Nick van Heerden was the nearest they came.

But with 10 minutes to go, Town pushed more men forward and a corner was only have cleared by Albion’s defence and sub Henry Brown hit a sweet volley from 20 yards to reduce the deficit.

Tom Gregory (left) scored what turned out to be the winner.

Tom Gregory (left) scored what turned out to be the winner.

They couldn’t manage to create a real opportunity to get an equaliser though, and in the closing stages it was Albion who went closest to adding another goal when Christlow’s stunning free kick bounced back off the crossbar.