Adams strike settles top of the table clash

Chris Adams was Town's goalscorer.
Chris Adams was Town's goalscorer.

A well-taken Chris Adams goal two minutes before half time settled this clash against 10-man Worksop Town.

The visitors started well but Joel Sutton hit the ball high over the top following a throw in then with only 11 minutes gone Worksop missed a golden opportunity to take the lead.

Tom Fleming chases down Kieron Davies

Tom Fleming chases down Kieron Davies

Kyle Jordan got into the area but was going wide of goal when Will Waudby barged him over, prompting referee Nicholas Hopton to immediately point to the penalty spot.

Some of the Worksop players ran half the length of the field to try and persuade the official to dismiss Waudby but their pleas were in vain.

Their body language had shown earlier that they lacked confidence for the challenge, and Jordan somewhat proved the point with a tamely struck spot kick that James Hitchcock gathered low to his right.

Tom Fleming just missed the target with a left-foot drive from 30 yards then a volley by him from Waudby’s pass was tipped over by goalkeeper Jon Kennedy but the Bridlington skipper was adjudged offside.

Kyle Jordan tries to get past Alex Knaggs

Kyle Jordan tries to get past Alex Knaggs

The Tigers came more into it but the reliable Seasiders’ defence stood firm and they once again went close when Conner Harman had a 25 yard attempt deflected behind for a corner.

With less than 15 minutes of the half remaining the hosts were reduced to ten men. A rash challenge by Tom Fleming on James Cottingham earned the Bridlington captain his 15th booking of the season, but while on the floor, Cottingham kicked out at Fleming in front of the referee and was shown a straight red card.

Town tried to press home their one-man advantage before the interval and succeeded in the 43rd minute.

Fleming found Adams on the left and he cut inside the jittery Lawrence Gorman before sublimely curling the ball beyond Kennedy.

The goalkeeper then made a smart save from Benn Lewis but a goal then would have been ruled out as Sutton was in an offside position.

Waudby was prominent in the opening minutes of the second half by making three telling runs down the left and delivering crosses but his team-mates were unable to take advantage.

Knaggs was cautioned for a foul on Jack Waddle but a poor free kick was easily cleared.

The 10 men upped their game as they went in search of an equaliser but they were unable to break the Town defence and the margin of victory could possibly have been more as chances were created at the other end with Norfolk, Waudby and Sutton, twice, all going close.

In time added on Worksop were probably a little lucky not to be reduced to nine men when Julian Lawrence committed a two-footed challenge in the Bridlington area but he escaped with a yellow card.

Town held out for the win to continue their impressive run of having just one defeat and two draws in the 18 games that they have played since the end of October.

On Saturday Town are away to vastly improved Maltby Main who have won eight of their last nine league games, including one against Worksop.

The only blip came in a 1-0 defeat away to Handsworth Parramore and they also spurned the chance of meeting the Seasiders in the next round of the League Cup when they lost 4-0 away to Division One side Penistone Church.

Next Tuesday, the postponed East Riding Senior Cup quarter-final tie against Westella VIP will be played at Queensgate, kick off 7:45pm.