Adams is the Main man for Town

Bridlington Town news
Bridlington Town news

Bridlington Town made it two wins, and two clean sheets, in a row after seeing off Maltby Main on Wednesday night.

Two close-range finishes from Chris Adams, added to an own goal, gave The Seasiders the points in miserable conditions at Queensgate.

Despite the scoreline suggesting it was comfortable, goalkeeper James Hitchcock had a good shout for the man of the match award after his best display in the Town number one shirt.

After an even opening, the first opportunity of the game came on 13 minutes, but Brian Cusworth’s header from a left wing corner was straight at Hitchcock.

Five minutes later, Bridlington had the lead. A lovely passing move involving Ash Allanson and Adams saw the ball swept out to Jarrod Smalley on the right-hand side and his low driven cross could only be diverted into his own net, via the crossbar, by defender Tom Coker.

The visitors responded and a cross by Neil Spruce turned into a shot which Hitchcock had to tip over the bar, then Cusworth headed into the side netting from the resulting corner.

From another quick Maltby break, Cusworth made a neat lay-off to Michael Cuckson, but he was narrowly off target as Hitchcock closed him down.

With the constant drizzle increasing, Bridlington started to zip the ball around smartly, and a move from right to left ended when Danny Brunton’s cross drifted just wide of the far post.

Now firmly in control, the home side could have added to their tally but Adams snatched a shot wide and then missed a better chance, hitting keeper Ben Brunt’s feet from six yards after Smalley’s shot has ricocheted into his path.

Smalley’s neat finish was ruled out for offside before Adams grabbed his first of the night on 41 minutes. Allanson, Smalley and Tom Fleming linked up, and the captain’s low left-wing cross was tuned in from six yards by Adams.

Fleming, again playing as a striker, was unlucky to see his curling shot from 20 yards bounce back off the post just before the break.

Into the second half, Oliver Fearon’s pass across his own penalty area invited trouble and although Adams intercepted, his effort went wide of the far post.

The linesman’s flag again denied Town, this time when Fleming found the net from Smalley’s pass, and within minutes it should have been 2-1.

Sub Ben Thornton could only divert Daniel Smith’s cross wide from six yards out, and Maltby went on to create a number of chances to try to get themselves back in the game.

Sam Forster was getting a lot of joy down the Maltby left and when he got in behind Benn Lewis, he missed the target narrowly with just Hitchcock to beat.

The Town keeper then produced the save of the game, reacting quickly to block Fearon’s close range header but also somehow managing to kick the ball away as he fell.

Those chances came back to haunt the away side when Town grabbed a third with 15 minutes to go. Sub Ombeni Ruhanduka got in a muddle on the six-yard line but when his back heel bounced off his own shins, it fell kindly for Adams to tap in, despite Maltby protests for offside.

In injury time, Hitchcock preserved his clean sheet, darting from his line to make a block at Cusworth’s feet, and Town moved to within two points of sixth-placed Cleethorpes Town, who visit Queensgate next Wednesday.