On Bank Holiday Monday, Barmston Cricket Club will be holding a coffee afternoon to celebrate its 150th anniversary.
Memorabilia will be on display in the village hall, charting the club’s history, and there will be bingo, a book stall and tombola from 2pm to 4pm. Admission is £1 for adults and 50p for children.
Barmston Cricket Club was first formed in 1863, the same year as Flamborough and Sewerby.
One of the first recorded matches was played against Bridlington in 1863. The Barmston team was Carlton, Burdass, J Carter, Hawe, G Reed, Dawson, Harris, H Reed J Stephenson, T Stephenson and J Chapman.
It wasn’t until after the First World War when the Bridlington and District League was formed in 1922, when farm labourers were given a five-and-a-half-day week, that cricket became more popular and more organised in the villages. Players would ride their bikes to Driffield on an evening to play cup matches after a days work.
After the Second World War, the club was reformed and Eric Milner and Stan Wiles, both working at Fraisthorpe were given the task of laying a cricket square in the present field.
Previously, they had played in the field behind the chapel, and the club enjoyed a successful period, winning the First Division and Senior Cup in the same year.
In 1947 Mr Endley, the landlord of the Black Bull pub gave a cup to be competed for by clubs of the district where all team members, except the wicketkeeper, bowled two overs. This cup proved very popular, when in those early years all the matches were played at Barmston.
Highlights from the last 50 years include 1964, when the club won the Third Division Championship, 1976 when they won the Hospital Cup as underdogs against Flamborough, and in the early 1980s Glendon Estates allowed the club to fence the field, which enabled the outfield to be cut.