4ths beat 3rds in Sewerby head-to-head

Sewerby 4th's Simon Porter bowling v Sewerby 3rds
Sewerby 4th's Simon Porter bowling v Sewerby 3rds

A review of the action from Sewerby CC’s weekend

Derwent Valley League Division B

ON A depressingly cold damp and sunless day Sewerby 4ths and 3rds met for the first time this season on the cliff top ground.

Mixed emotions were felt as fellow team mates pitched themsleves against each other in what turned out to be hard fought battle.

Sewerby 4ths won the toss and put the 3rd team in on a very sticky wicket.

Tight bowling from Simon Porter and Matt Rusbridge-Burns held the 3rd team openers at bay, but after the early loss of Paul Dandy for four it was captain Rudbridge-Burns who struck with devastating effect in his fifth over with his first ever hat-trick prompting scenes of outrageous celebration.

At 29 for 4, the 3rd team were in real trouble but a decent rearguard action from captain Sam Coultas (26) aided by Jack Newby (15) and Rich Cobden (13) ensured a final total of 87 that could be defended.

Rich Gibson, in his first game of the season, extracted prodigious spin from a lifeless track ending with three wickets for 22, and juniors Calvin Roche and John Searby added to a great bowling and fielding performance from the 4ths.

Batting after tea the 4ths suffered an early loss, but James Denton (14) and Ryan Bartram Snr (40) looked soild until Denton was brilliantly run out by Sam Coultas.

Three more quick wickets had the 4ths in trouble at 43 for 4, but nerves were settled after Bartram Snr hit 19 from one over, and despite being out for an excellent 40, the 4ths gained victory in 24th over for the loss of six wickets.

Lawrence Pearson, although wicketless, was the pick of the 3rd team bowlers conceding only five runs in his six overs.

The 3rds will no doubt bounce back stronger under Coultas’ leadership, while the 4ths can look forward to another rewarding season.

York Senior League Division One

THIS fixture was played on Sunday due to a race meeting taking place at Thirsk on Saturday. Sewerby lost the toss and asked to take first knock.

Ben Dobson and Luke Jennison put on 31 for the first wicket when Jennison was out for 14. Dobson was joined at the crease by Chris Chapman and together the pair dominated the bowling completely adding 135 in 27 overs, both showing their full array of shots.

Skipper Dobson was eventually out for 72 and Chapman (62) followed just four balls later unlucky to be given out lbw.

Sewerby then went into their self-destruct mode losing 7 wickets for 45 runs, only Ricky Robinson (13) making double figures as the innings closed on 211 after 47.3 overs, a good 40 runs lower than it should have been. Stuart Christon stood out for Thirsk finishing with 6 for 45.

Thirsk lost a wicket in the first over of their reply but some wayward bowling helped them on their way, the first 14 runs all being extras.

Dobson came on as first change and took a wicket in his first over and with Russ Robinson bowling nine overs for 10 runs including two wickets Thirsk were 49 for 3 after 17 overs, well behind the required rate.

Veteran Des Wyrill, who had opened the batting, was proving very stubborn but did not make any attempt to up the tempo.

Wilkinson took the scoring on before being out for 33, but with the score on 109/3 after 38 overs Wyrill decided to retire.

Lewis Beasley then took control with four wickets and Thirsk slumped to 154/9. The umpires deemed that as Wyrill was not injured he had retired out and despite him attempting to do so he was not allowed to resume his innings and therefore Thirsk were all out 154.

VISITORS Kirkbymoorside won the toss and asked Sewerby to bat first.

In a nutshell none of the home batsmen got hold of what appeared a fairly tame Kirkby attack. Rob Atkin top scored with 48 in a respectable score of 176/7 in their 45 overs, although it was thought that the innings hadn’t reached its full potential and this together with some wayward early bowling meant that Sewerby were on the back foot.

The introduction of three spin bowlers into the attack steadied things with Dom Warters the pick of them, but this only delayed the inevitable and Kirkby ran out comfortable winners by five wickets.